Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 21, 2013 9:24 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Now I'm thirsty. There's a Trader Joe's by me I'll try their Black and Tan. I don't think Mission Brewery can be found in the north east. That's a shame I would be interest in trying their Imperial Stout and Double IPA. :cheers:

Post Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Ooops! Sorry for any confusion, Wiseguy... This is Steinhaus brewery, not Mission. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've always been a fan of Lone Star Beer. Usually the light version. Its my go to beer when I'm sitting down having more than a few. Just recently, they put out a Bock, though and I gotta say its pretty good. Easier to drink than Shiner, doesn't make you feel as full after a few.

Don't get me wrong, I do like me some Shiner. I've got a 6 of this in the fridge. If I'm in the mood for a light beer and I'm not drinking Lone Star, chances are I'm drinking Shiner Blonde Light. Good light beer with more flavor than say a Miller, Bud or Coors.

Of course my favorite drink ain't beer at all...give me bourbon. :cheers:

Post Wed May 22, 2013 9:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

I was looking for a picture of an old cook I did and I stumbled on this one. Pretty good dessert beer if you are into those.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 11:40 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I am a fan chocolate stouts especially for breakfast substitute the amount of water needed in your pancakes with some chocolate stout. This is the stout I went with the last time I made pancakes. :cheers: Image

Post Thu May 23, 2013 2:30 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Great ideas, guys :D

Years ago, I used to be able to get Lone Star beer, but no more. My brother sometimes refers to his number one beer as Lone Star. It is Sapporo (from Japan) and features a single star on the label. Perhaps you've seen it. I also still miss Tres Equis (sigh).
Got beer???

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Back in the '80s Pabst bought the Lone Star label but I don't know if that's still the current ownership situation.

While I like dark beers, stouts, etc. I tend to shy away from ones that have "natural flavors added" on the label. To me that makes it seem like something was added after instead of during the brewing process.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 1:50 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I just realized I recently hit the 2000 post mark, so I decided to celebrate with a new beer (any excuse, right?). So here is a new beer for show & tell today. It is called "Double Take Amber Ale." It is made in New York and checks in at 5.1%, but don't let Julia fool ya!-- it is as they claim a "head snapper."... You'll be hearing the bees sooner than quicker. I find the flavor to be bright, snappy, maybe a little on the stout side. Fairly cheaper than some of the competition, so perhaps not as refined, but definitely worth the money (at least to me). Anyone else here assess this one? :cheers:

Last edited by beercuer on Sat May 25, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got beer???

Post Sat May 25, 2013 1:59 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Friends, what do you say we turn this thread into a sort of beer guide or library? I wish to invite you once again to post your pics and/or assessments/reviews here. Thanks to Wiseguy getting me goin' on this, I have already discovered some wonderful new suds to take with me to the pit. Perhaps you will, too. Thanks! :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sat May 25, 2013 10:46 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I haven't seen that beer in the north east. I'll add it to my list. :cheers:

Interesting read
http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/beer-tasting-workout

Post Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
I just realized I recently hit the 2000 post mark, so I decided to celebrate with a new beer (any excuse, right?). So here is a new beer for show & tell today. It is called "Double Take Amber Ale." It is made in New York and checks in at 5.1%, but don't let Julia fool ya!-- it is as they claim a "head snapper."... You'll be hearing the bees sooner than quicker. I find the flavor to be bright, snappy, maybe a little on the stout side. Fairly cheaper than some of the competition, so perhaps not as refined, but definitely worth the money (at least to me). Anyone else here assess this one? :cheers:

Yes - I've managed to try this beer once and like most amber ales I really liked it.

And congrats on the 2000 posts, too! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Wiseguy-- That was an informative read, thank you!

CBG-- Yeah, as I sample more and more of these brews that are new to me, I seem to have a decided leaning for the ambers. Thanks for the congrats!

I have a new blonde ale to share with all a little later. It's a monastic. I've got to get back into bed now... Beercuer got out of it a wee bit too early for this day. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon May 27, 2013 3:16 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

...Alright, I'm back... This new brew is called "Leffe." As you note it's a blonde ale, checking in at 6.6%. Funny, higher alcohol content, but not quite the tail kicken' power of that "Double Take." And it rivals the "Mississippi Mud" in terms of suds production. Very nice bouguet. In fact, the producers recommend this be served and enjoyed from a chalice because of that and what it means. I find it to have a mild mellow bite with a hint of sweetness-- something reminiscent of molasses or something.
:cheers:
Got beer???

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

[Image

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

That looks good Beercuer. You have been on a mission lately trying new beers :cheers: I have to wait 1 more week for my Irish Red Ale to be ready to drink :(

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion