Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What is your favorite mustard?

What is your favorite mustard?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 am
QJuju well done
well done

I just posted a pic of a new mustard that I find really tasty. Since I have become a huge mustard fan, I thought we might like a post where we could share our favorites or review something new we tried. So whether its coarse ground, plain yellow, or smooth Dijon lets see your favorites.

I'll start...

I like this one because it has a nice heat and a background of horseradish. I wouldn't say it is the spiciest mustard I have ever had, but it provides great flavor to sausages of all types-- especially fresh bratwurst. I also like a smear on top of plain grilled pork chops.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A favorite? That's a tough question to answer so I'll flip it around and say what I don't like: sweet mustards, fruity mustards, and excessively hot mustards. Anything else and it's almost a sure bet that I'll like it.

One of the local wineries has a house label mustard made with white wine and while I don't know if it's truly a unique product or if it's something sold by many wineries, we do like it. For those of you in the area, it's Wollersheim.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:01 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've gotta go with this one:

Actually, I kid. Back when I was a teacher, a student gave me some. It was ok, nothing spectacular. I prefer a spicy, brown mustard myself.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:22 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I really liked the White Wine and Herb Dijon mustard from Denzel's but they discontinued it. I like some of their other products, though:
http://www.denzelshotsauce.com/mustard.htm

Their Horseradish Mustard is a current favorite. I'm also a fan of French's Spicy Brown mustard, and almost anything made by Inglehoffer (the ones that come in the cute round jars).
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I guess I'd have to go with the Maille brand, like their dijon. I can really taste the refinement in that (And of coarse I better at the price they want for it). I'll bet Canada knows about that stuff. Oh, and McIlhenny also makes a hot soy sauce which is mighty intriguing as well. Have you tried that, Qjuju? :D
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm
QJuju well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Oh, and McIlhenny also makes a hot soy sauce which is mighty intriguing as well. Have you tried that, Qjuju? :D

Yep... A nice mild sauce, but flavorful just the same.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 8:50 pm
sroach well done
well done

I'm with Griffin, I like a spicy brown, I recently found this:

Post Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I use to be a big spicy mustard fan. Lately I have enjoyed simple yellow mustard. I find I can enjoy it on many things. Mustards like Dijon I enjoy on sandwiches but not a fan on a pretzel or hot dog.

Post Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Qjuju, I discovered a new one (to me) that I can add to this list for certain applications. I just smoked a German style meatloaf yesterday, and this mustard was a marriage made in Heaven. I bet many of you have seen/tried it.... French's Horseradish mustard. Yum!

Got beer???

Post Mon May 27, 2013 6:06 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Qjuju, I discovered a new one (to me) that I can add to this list for certain applications. I just smoked a German style meatloaf yesterday, and this mustard was a marriage made in Heaven. I bet many of you have seen/tried it.... French's Horseradish mustard. Yum!

That's another one of my favorites, too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm
QJuju well done
well done

beercuer wrote:

Seen it, but never tried it. I will be giving it a go.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 2:55 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Plain old Frenches Ball Park Mustard. I mix it with a premium IPA beer, brown sugar, white distilled vinegar and ground pepper as a slather for ribs and butts before adding the rub. Paul Kirk does this too and I really like it. No mustard taste at all (for those that can't abide the taste of mustard).
Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:
beercuer wrote:

Seen it, but never tried it. I will be giving it a go.

It's definitely worth a try. It's not as blisteringly-hot as I'd first feared, but it has a nice kick and great taste.

Return to General Discussion