Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Traveling the BBQ Trail!

Traveling the BBQ Trail!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

My wife and I flew into Austin late Thursday evening. We came here for a wedding, but all that mess is over now. ;) We have a rental car and are going to spend the next coupla days hitting up a few different BBQ joints. First up will be Blacks in Lockhart! Stay tuned! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 19, 2013 12:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Have a good trip! You won't go wanting for Texas barbecue, that's for sure!

Post Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You're going to have a lot of fun, Dyal! I toured Texas before I joined this board and got to try out a dozen or so places, as there's no shortage.

And if you get a chance, please post some pics. I'd love to see a good smoke ring or two. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 2:59 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Not sure how big these photos will turn out, as I'm posting from my phone. I used to be able to reduce the file size on the photobucket app, but not anymore apparently. :? Anyways, here are some pix from Blacks. It was PHENOMENAL! 8)

I got the Brisket (with some fat) and their Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage. My wife got the Brisket and a Pork Chop.

Next time, I'll order the Jackelope. ;)

Stay tuned for more! Trying to figure out our dinner plans now. :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 19, 2013 3:16 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And that is only the first stop? Incredible!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 7:21 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Wow... truly wish I was there! Enjoy every smokey moment.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 7:41 pm
sroach well done
well done

OHH MAN that sausage looked good...

Post Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

We decided we needed a break from barbecue tonight in order to cleanse our pallets for Smitty's tomorrow. :) I asked Griffin earlier today what to do in downtown Austin. He recommended we go to Rainey Street for a drink and the local food trucks, and then go see the Bats under the Congress Bridge at Town Lake.

We were about to hit up the "Art of Tacos" truck, but instead went with "The Beef Cake Shop." They had some awesome sliders. I tried all four. The Original Beef Cake (Mom's Meatloaf) was my favorite.

Here is a shot of the meatloaf slider:

The cook told me that was his mother's personal recipe for meatloaf. I was trying to pay the dude a compliment, and I told him I liked his momma's meatloaf better the meatloaf my momma made while I was growing up. He looked at me and without skipping a beat said, "Looks to me like you didn't mind your momma's meatloaf all too much." :evil: :evil: :lol: Dang Texans. ;)

Here's a shot of the Congress Bridge. You can't see the bats in the photo, since it was dark, but there were a lot of them there! Pretty cool...had no idea so many people stop by to see them every night.

Stay tuned for more BBQ from Smitty's in Lockhart tomorrow... :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've got to say Blacks is probably my favorite one in Lockhart. Mrs G prefer's Smittys, so we try and alternate them. I think when we head through there next week its her turn to choose. :( Oh well, both are still good stuff.

Glad we could help you on some ideas of things to do in Austin. We went to Rainy Street for the first time Friday night for my Sis-In-Law's graduation. I had no idea it was even there, guess its pretty new. Really wanted to stop at the food trucks, but after trying to hang with the college kids for awhile we were more concerned about sleep than food. Not as young as we once were. :cheers:

Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

When in Austin, check out Franklin's (line up early), La Barbecue Cuisine Texarcana, John Mueller, and Micklethwait’s Craft Meats. And keep the hunger inducing photos coming!
Attachments
brisket at La BBQ.JPG
brisket at La BBQ.JPG (796.58 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

Post Mon May 20, 2013 11:36 am
BBQ Deputy

That plate from Black's looks awesome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Post Mon May 20, 2013 2:08 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thx for the tips, Steven! Unfortunately most of those places are closed on Monday. I ate at Franklin last year, and their brisket is awesome!

Today, we drove out to Smitty's Market in Lockhart. We had an incredible experience and wonderful food!

You think they have enough fuel? ;)

The menu:

Their super awesome pit:

I ordered two slices of fatty brisket, one pork rib and one hot ring. My wife just had the brisket.

No forks are allowed, so you have to eat with your hands. They do give you a spoon for the sides though.

The rib had an amazing flavor.

So did the sausage and brisket.

Not sure where we are eating tonight. My wife's family just made it to Austin and said they wanted to treat us to dinner before flying back tomorrow. If its something interesting, I'll make a report on that restaurant too. :) I feel about 10 lbs heavier now than I did last week, but it's been fun gaining it. :twisted:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Just found out we are going to Austin Land and Cattle Company tonight for dinner. *drooool* I may die of a heart attack before making it back to SC! :lol: I'll try to take pix tonight too. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 pm
BBQ Deputy

Good deal!

While all the meat looks great, how were Smitty's beans?

Post Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

We liked the food at Blacks a little more, but Smitty's was still great. Black's pinto beans had a smokier flavor and they also had meat mixed in. The beans at Smitty's didn't have too much smoke flavor and they didn't appear to contain meat. Still good though. :) The brisket at Blacks topped Smitty's brisket in our opinion. The bark was more flavorful and it was a little bit juicier too. I'd put Black's brisket against Franklin's any day of the week. They are both awesome.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Next

Return to General Discussion