Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7408
Location: Stoughton, WI
wiseguy wrote:
Has anyone tried this beer? I haven't see this beer by me.

http://www.rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php
Some friends and I split a bottle last month and the first-sip reactions were not overly positive, but a couple of them said that it got better as they went along. Personally, I hated it but I don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 pm
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 226
Location: New Jersey
Thanks for the review
Image

Post Thu May 16, 2013 2:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5820
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
We moderators have discussed it, and since beer and grilling are such natural companions, we've decided to make this thread a new sticky thread. Enjoy!

(And yes - sweet tea is also the traditional drink with barbecue, but beer is more common a drink with grilled food.)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 2:59 pm
Heebzman medium
medium

Posts: 157
Location: Milwaukee, WI
My go to beer is Miller Lite, but I enjoy most offerings from Milwaukee Brewing Co. I am not a IPA lover, as seems to be what EVERYBODY is into these days.
The two I get into most are Louie's Demise, "medium bodied amber ale starts with a rich malt flourish that’s kept in perfect balance by a smooth hop finish. This MBC original is similar to a German style alt beer"

My all-time favorite is only available in growlers from the Milwaukee Ale House by MBC, Ulao.
"This year round beer is brewed with barley malt, wheat malt, and oats to create a smooth golden ale. The cloudy appearance is from the wheat and oat protien in suspension,an indicator that we purposely do not filter this fresh beer (much like our Hefeweizen).

During the boil the brewers add fresh ground coriander, dried orange peel, and dried ginger root to the brew kettle to impart a spiced flavor and aroma.

Ulao Belgian style wit is a great all around ale with a sweet malt flavor and light hop balance."

LD is a great fall/winter BBQ smokepit beer. Ulao is the perfect spring/summer beer. Great for hanging with friends while ribs are smoking over cherry wood !! :D
Two 18.5 WSM's...the Twins ! / Performer / Q200

Post Sat May 18, 2013 2:36 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2284
Location: Southern Californy
Much thanks, Heebzman :D

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
We moderators have discussed it, and since beer and grilling are such natural companions, we've decided to make this thread a new sticky thread. Enjoy!

(And yes - sweet tea is also the traditional drink with barbecue, but beer is more common a drink with grilled food.)

Now how cool is this?! 8) Yes, Canada!-- hand in hand, a beer in one hand and tongs in the other. If I may, I for one would really like to see pics even. It would help to track down some of these labels. Ah, so many beers, so little time. :cheers:



Hmmm... I wonder what Christine's favorite is???
Got beer???

Post Sat May 18, 2013 1:16 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5820
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
I change beers like I change clothes - daily. I try a few new beers every week or two as well, and I still brew my own when I have the chance.

But my all-time favorite beers are from the Big Rock Brewery in Calgary, Alberta. That's not just because they're Canadian, either. My two favorites are their Traditional Ale, which is similar to Newcastle Brown Ale, and their Pale Ale, which decidedly isn't an IPA but rather a mild, blond ale with lots of body.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2284
Location: Southern Californy
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
I change beers like I change clothes - daily. I try a few new beers every week or two as well, and I still brew my own when I have the chance.

But my all-time favorite beers are from the Big Rock Brewery in Calgary, Alberta. That's not just because they're Canadian, either. My two favorites are their Traditional Ale, which is similar to Newcastle Brown Ale, and their Pale Ale, which decidedly isn't an IPA but rather a mild, blond ale with lots of body.


I've always been impressed with Canadian beers, everything from Molson to Moosehead. But my favorite from years ago was Grizzly. Alas, I can no longer find it. Do you remember it, Canada, and did you like it? :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5820
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
I change beers like I change clothes - daily. I try a few new beers every week or two as well, and I still brew my own when I have the chance.

But my all-time favorite beers are from the Big Rock Brewery in Calgary, Alberta. That's not just because they're Canadian, either. My two favorites are their Traditional Ale, which is similar to Newcastle Brown Ale, and their Pale Ale, which decidedly isn't an IPA but rather a mild, blond ale with lots of body.


I've always been impressed with Canadian beers, everything from Molson to Moosehead. But my favorite from years ago was Grizzly. Alas, I can no longer find it. Do you remember it, Canada, and did you like it? :cheers:


Sorry - I never managed to try Grizzly. But if it's still being made it's now on my list. :D

One of my other favorite breweries is Unibroue in Quebec.
http://www.unibroue.com/en

Careful, though. It's got a high alcohol content.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2284
Location: Southern Californy
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

Sorry - I never managed to try Grizzly. But if it's still being made it's now on my list. :D

One of my other favorite breweries is Unibroue in Quebec.
http://www.unibroue.com/en

Careful, though. It's got a high alcohol content.


Very nice website, Canada. Thank you.

Wiseguy-- Looky what I got... Fat Tire! :thumbup: Remarkably similar to the Fischer's, only a little bit lighter bodied than Fischer's. I must admit, I feel a natural affinity for the amber ales.

Image
Got beer???

Post Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 226
Location: New Jersey
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

One of my other favorite breweries is Unibroue in Quebec.
http://www.unibroue.com/en


Very good brewery I found out about that brewery at a beerfest I go to every year over in Denver, PA :cheers:

beercuer wrote:
Wiseguy-- Looky what I got... Fat Tire! :thumbup: Remarkably similar to the Fischer's, only a little bit lighter bodied than Fischer's. I must admit, I feel a natural affinity for the amber ales.

Image


Good choice Beercuer. I like ambers with a grilled steak or burger. Also ambers go well with pizza. :cheers:

CanadaBBQGuy thanks for making this a sticky. Also Beercuer thanks for writing your remembering back thread. That thread inspired me to stop lurking and get back to posting. :cheers:
Image

Post Sun May 19, 2013 1:00 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7408
Location: Stoughton, WI
I'm enjoying a Point Cascade Pale Ale while waiting for the chimney to light - Polish sausage for lunch today.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5820
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
I'll be darned - I just saw Fat Tire in the specialty craft beer section of one of my local beer stores! I'll have to pick some up, because that way maybe it will stay in stock. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 4:02 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2284
Location: Southern Californy
Wiseguy-- And thank you for inspiring this thread!

Brad-- Looks like quite a special collection there. Award winning yet!


CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
I'll be darned - I just saw Fat Tire in the specialty craft beer section of one of my local beer stores! I'll have to pick some up, because that way maybe it will stay in stock. :D


:lol: Might you know it, Canada! Funny, I pulled that same trick with the Fischer's! :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 4:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2284
Location: Southern Californy
Got a couple more to share with all. Picked this one up from my local Trader Joe's. Only $2/quart, too! This one puts the suds in mud, friends. Honestly, I've never experienced a beer that champagnes like this one. To give you an idea, for those who have not tried it, tastewise I was very much reminded of a Michelob dark. Mighty cute bottle.

Image
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2284
Location: Southern Californy
Following Wiseguy's advice, I also sought out a local craft beer. I don't know how far they distribute, but I rate this one to be a :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: ale/beer. This is one of those that as soon as the first sip passes the lips, you say, "Oh yeah, baby!" as you immediately notice the extra refinement that goes into it. For me, this one is as favorable as a Fischer's. :cheers:

Image
Got beer???

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion