Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Meatlover's Breakfast Skillet

Meatlover's Breakfast Skillet

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 6:32 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Posts: 2638
Location: Northeastern MA

This is my version of a staple in many of the places I eat breakfast at. They often serve it to you in a little skillet, but I doubt they cook it in the skillet they serve it in. I put a bit of a twist in it by using a wok to quickly finish it off. When I've made fried rice on the grill I noticed how quickly the scrambled eggs cook in the wok. I take advantage of having 2 grills which I can use for different setups and cooking temps. On a single grill you could remove your flat top griddle or cast iron pan when finished griddle grilling. Then raise the temperature while you go back to the Kitchen to chop up the bacon and gather the eggs and other ingredients for round two of the grilling. I often vary the meats and other fillings a bit to suit my mood. On to the pictures:

Image

Image

Image
What would a good homemade breakfast be without some fresh squeezed orange juice? I use the juicer attachment to make slow work of the task of juicing the oranges. Yes it is slow and takes lots of oranges, but the end results are well worth it. Particularly on a cold day in January when these pictures were shot.


Image
The grills are preheating on this 12 degree day in January. The grill in the background is preheating to 400 degrees and will be used with two half moon cast iron griddle grates. The grill in the foreground is being preheated to 600 degrees and is fitted with something called a spider which is intended to hold a wok.


Image
The grill is at 400 degrees and the two griddle grates were installed and are also preheated. One is installed flat side up and the other ridge side up.


Image
The ingredients are ready. This version was just for my wife and I, so it uses 6 eggs, 2 English muffins, 1 cup of a 4 cheddar cheese blend, a diced red bell pepper, a 6 oz. ham steak-diced, 1/2 pound of ground hot Italian sausage, 4 strips of bacon, kosher salt and ground black pepper.


Image
The items that will be griddle grilled are outside and ready to go.


Image

Image

Image
The muffins get grilled on the flat top, while the bacon gets grilled on the ridge side. When the muffins are done they are replaced by the ground Italian sausage.


Image
The bacon is cooling on paper towels and will get diced once I am back in the Kitchen.


Image
Now I've set up shop at the grill that has been preheated to 600 degrees. The wok has been preheated and a tablespoon of peanut oil has been added and heated.


Image
First up on the wok is the bell peppers which are stir fried until they are soft, around a minute.


Image
Next up is the diced ham which is stir fried for a minute together with the peppers.


Image
The cooked bacon and ground sausage are added and are quickly stir fried just long enough to mix in with the other ingredients.


Image

Image
The eggs are added in now and are quickly stir fried. This goes very fast-under a minute for 6 eggs.


Image

Image

Image
Time to eat! This is a really tasty and hearty breakfast and the fillings can be whatever you like. Often after eating this breakfast, I don't eat again until supper time.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
Image
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7131
Location: Stoughton, WI
Very nice, Jim! So would that be your equivalent of a frittata?

It looks like you were using a pretty good bacon, too - a good amount of lean and not too much fat. Not that there's anything wrong with bacon fat, but I like a good balance.

Thanks for pointing out that this was a January cook. With the way the weather's been this year it might've been just a few weeks ago! :lol:

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 am
sroach well done
well done

Posts: 1121
Location: Warrington, PA
That's a nice looking breakfast you got there.. Fresh squeezed OJ, you do it right sir!

Loving that griddle attachment for the egg, I'll have to go research that one.
Image
_________________
XL BGE
18.5 Kettle Gold
18.5 WSM

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5698
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Love the breakfast, Jim!

As for the bacon, there's a lot of meat on it and that's what I look for as well. In fact, I'll flip through 20 or 30 packs of bacon in the store just to find the one that looks like that, because a lot of the bacon I see is mostly fat and almost no meat.

I wonder if that's why a lot of us Canadians prefer back bacon? (Or "Canadian bacon" as it's called in the US, so we must like it a lot up here.)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Posts: 2638
Location: Northeastern MA

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Very nice, Jim! So would that be your equivalent of a frittata?

It looks like you were using a pretty good bacon, too - a good amount of lean and not too much fat. Not that there's anything wrong with bacon fat, but I like a good balance.

Thanks for pointing out that this was a January cook. With the way the weather's been this year it might've been just a few weeks ago! :lol:

The bacon was Hormel Black Label Bacon which is supposedly their premium line. I don't eat very very much bacon and when I do I like it to be the best. I hate it when bacon shrivels away to nothing because there's way too much fat.

As for the frittata, I make frittatas all the time since I got the new grills. There were a couple good recipes in the BGE Cookbook that I use. For those I set the Egg up for indirect grilling using the platesetter attachment with the legs down and put the frittata in a Pyrex Dish set on top of the platesetter. With this set up I'm using the grill as an outdoor oven, something the Egg excels in, with the thick walls in the domed lid you get very even heat distribution and little moisture loss.

Image
Image
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
Image
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am
QJuju well done
well done

Posts: 1915
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

That is a fine breakfast. I like a good omelette or frittata as well. I was really happy to see the cast iron half moon inserts. I believe that may be my next eggccessory. What temp do you run those at and is there any issue holding heat with 2 of them in place? The ring looks wide enough, but I ask because I see falloff when I use the perforated half moon; which makes sense. Plus you might have given me a use for the wok... :shock:
Last edited by QJuju on Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Post Fri May 17, 2013 12:00 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Posts: 1768
Location: Sherman, Texas

Now I'm HONGRY for breakfast! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Sun May 19, 2013 7:00 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2268
Location: Southern Californy
WOW! Amazing and stunning cook, Jim! Who wouldn't want to wake to a breakfast like that? Bacon was beautiful, even the color of your fresh squeezed OJ. Bet the warmth of your Eggs felt in good in that frigid air. Stunning photography as well... What kind of camera is that??? :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Posts: 2638
Location: Northeastern MA

Thanks for the additional comments guys. I apologize for taking so long to get back with the answers to the questions, but I stopped getting notifications there were new posts on this thread. I see some things about the board haven't changed in my absence.

QJuju wrote:
... I was really happy to see the cast iron half moon inserts. I believe that may be my next eggccessory. What temp do you run those at and is there any issue holding heat with 2 of them in place? The ring looks wide enough, but I ask because I see falloff when I use the perforated half moon; which makes sense. Plus you might have given me a use for the wok... :shock:
I haven't noticed a problem holding temperature using a pair of the half moon grill grates. I don't do it that often, but like I said haven't noticed problem. As far as the temperature I use it at, that depends on what the recipe calls for. I have run anywhere from 400° to 500°. I will compare it to the 16" wok or the 16" paella pans I use. Both of those items come very close to the edge too. Like the things I cook on the griddle you actually end up spending most of the time cooking with the lid open because you often must keep the food in motion while cooking. if anything I had trouble keeping The temps all enough. Anytime I use any of these three items if I'm going to be cooking with the lid open, I close down the bottom great 50% to start. If the temp seems to be still climbing, that I will adjust some more accordingly.

beercuer wrote:
... What kind of camera is that??? :cheers:
This is a Canon G11. It is their prosumer point-and-shoot model. It has many of the same features as their low-end SLR's, but is more portable. It has a swing out foldable LCD view screen, which means I don't have to climb up on a ladder to compose overhead food shots. It also has a hot shoe for a full-size flash. The flash has a rotatable head that allows me to pivot the head and use it for bounce flash off of the white ceilings indoors. This gives you a more diffuse light which eliminates a lot of the glare found and direct flash pictures. Since the roof of micro busy but was not white, I can't do that outdoors. What I do outdoors is instead of standing close up and using wide-angle, I stand back and zoom in. By having the flash be farther away from the subject of the photo, it eliminate some of the harshness of direct flash.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
Image
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:31 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Posts: 2638
Location: Northeastern MA

jfm0830 wrote:
Thanks for the additional comments guys. I apologize for taking so long to get back with the answers to the questions, but I stopped getting notifications there were new posts on this thread. I see some things about the board haven't changed in my absence.

QJuju wrote:
... I was really happy to see the cast iron half moon inserts. I believe that may be my next eggccessory. What temp do you run those at and is there any issue holding heat with 2 of them in place? The ring looks wide enough, but I ask because I see falloff when I use the perforated half moon; which makes sense. Plus you might have given me a use for the wok... :shock:
I haven't noticed a problem holding temperature using a pair of the half moon grill grates. I don't do it that often, but like I said haven't noticed problem. As far as the temperature I use it at, that depends on what the recipe calls for. I have run anywhere from 400° to 500°. I will compare it to the 16" wok or the 16" paella pans I use. Both of those items come very close to the edge too. Like the things I cook on the griddle you actually end up spending most of the time cooking with the lid open because you often must keep the food in motion while cooking. if anything I had trouble keeping the temps low enough. Anytime I use any of these three items if I'm going to be cooking with the lid open, I close down the bottom vent 50% to start. If the temp seems to be still climbing, that I will adjust some more accordingly. But I don't think it's the Eggessory doing that,r I think it's the extra air being let into the top of the grill.

beercuer wrote:
... What kind of camera is that??? :cheers:
This is a Canon G11. It is their prosumer point-and-shoot model. It has many of the same features as their low-end SLR's, but is more portable. It has a swing out foldable LCD view screen, which means I don't have to climb up on a ladder to compose overhead food shots. It also has a hot shoe for a full-size flash. The flash has a rotatable head that allows me to pivot the head and use it for bounce flash off of the white ceilings indoors. This gives you a more diffuse light which eliminates a lot of the glare found and direct flash pictures. Since the roof of micro busy but was not white, I can't do that outdoors. What I do outdoors is instead of standing close up and using wide-angle, I stand back and zoom in. By having the flash be farther away from the subject of the photo, it eliminate some of the harshness of direct flash.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
Image
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2268
Location: Southern Californy
Mighty fine Canon there, Jim. Roger all that, especiallly what you say about the flash. I do pretty much as you do, but have now decided that I prefer the results I get from my camera by just shutting the flash off completely, no matter the circumstance. :)
Got beer???

Post Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Posts: 3712
Location: Lexington, SC
Wonderful looking meal, Jim! I'm jealous that you have TWO ceramic grills! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Image


Return to General Discussion