Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Tenderloin trimmings

Tenderloin trimmings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

After cutting up a whole beef tenderloin into steaks for Mother's Day I had a couple of pieces left, so I salt-and-peppered them Saturday afternoon and took them out on Tuesday.

I fired up a chimney of lump and dumped it into my Smokey Joe, and laid my 18" iron grate over the top. After it got nice and hot I put the steaks on for a couple of minutes on each side.

I also cooked up a pan of mushrooms as a side dish and spooned them over the top.

We don't eat filets very often because a)we already have a freezer full of beef and b)it's a pricier cut best-suited for special occasions. But even though it has a milder flavor than some other steaks it's nice from time to time, and the tenderness can't be beat!

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:34 pm
sroach well done
well done

Wow thats a nice looking plate, you guys like those steaks on the medium rare side huh?

Post Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The rare side of medium-rare. :wink:

Post Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Very nice Brad! I was thinking they looked on the rare side of rare. Not quite upright and walking, but quite rare.

Jim

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 am
QJuju well done
well done

Perfection!

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jfm0830 wrote:
Very nice Brad! I was thinking they looked on the rare side of rare. Not quite upright and walking, but quite rare.

Jim

Would that be "Pittsburgh Rare", then? Looks pretty close to me, but I never cook 'em that rare.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion