Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The Mockstrami Experiment

The Mockstrami Experiment

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 14, 2013 4:18 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Have you ever wondered what happens when you take a de-brined corned beef up over the 160 mark, to like say 195 degrees? I did, and this is what you'll get to see here. I began with what was labeled as a point cut, but it sure looked a whole more flat cut to me. That's alright, as point is priced cheaper than flat anyway.

Away we go now... Slathered it with the horseradish dijon mayo, and added the rub fixins that came with it along with plenty of coarse pepper (pastrami style of coarse).

I went with a mesquite smoke this time, as I was out of hickory. Here we are several hours into the smoke:

After foiling. Temp hit 195 at coolest point.

Okay, I was curious to see if this here corned beef would lend itself to pulling. Ha ha ha, ain't no way in tarnation! :lol: I'm a thinkin' that a real point cut could, but not this flat one. Sure was moist and tender though. So I sliced it up instead.

***Edit note: I'm aware now that this really is a point cut, as evidenced by the grain pattern.

Let's see... what to do with it?-- How about a kind of grilled cheese Reuben like sammy. I toasted and butter fried some Bavarian rye bread, added some Deluxe American cheese, and topped the bread with Thousand Island dressing.

Added some of my green sauerkraut...

And plated it. I found that the extra heat and temp by no means hurt it. In fact, I believe it helped take the flavor up a notch. I could have gotten it nearly indistinguishable from a pastrami had I worked a lot of minced garlic into the rub. I feel so hypocrit posting this after all my recent chatter about trying to eat wholesome. A few more decadent posts, and I'll be back on track again.

Oh, made for a nice breakfast treat, too. Not quite corned beef hash exactly, but close enough for a beer. :cheers:

Last edited by beercuer on Wed May 15, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got beer???

Post Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 pm
sroach well done
well done

Holy Crap that is a beauty!!! BC, very nice work. Don't know if I love the sandwich or the eggs better.

How long of a cook was it?

Post Tue May 14, 2013 10:15 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Holy Crap that is a beauty!!! BC, very nice work. Don't know if I love the sandwich or the eggs better.

Most kind of you, Sroach! Let's see... started at noon, pulled (er sliced) just after 11 p.m. It would have been a tad earlier, but I crashed for a power nap during the coarse of the day, so I had to get it goin' again. Still, I was amazed how long it took this little guy to do his thing. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks wonderful. To answer your question, yes, yes I have. I tried looking all over this forum for my post, but I can't find it ( I can never find anything on this site with the search function), so here's a link to a mockstrami/faux strami I did a few years back. need to do it again now that I have a slicer.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1015399/yesterdays-pastrami

Post Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:

I'd say the sandwich wins by a little bit. Eggs I like, but pastrami tops them. Excellent job, BC! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That looks really, really good, BC! I love a good pastrami/corned beef sandwich but plating some with eggs and potatoes would be just as nice.

And thank you for not overcooking the eggs. :wink: Did you have a couple of slices of rye toast for sopping up the yolks?

Post Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Well if that don't make you lick the screen nothing will! :cheers: I've been talking about pastrami... wish I was there for a slice of that.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice job beercuer! I've smoked one of these before and they are tasty. If you want one that pulls apart, you should try curing and smoking a boneless slab of short ribs.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks, Friends :D

Brad-- Doh! Doh! Doh! I just don't think well in the morning (nor the rest of the day, either), and so forgot the breakfast rye. The taters picked up the yolk well though. I even forgot my caraway seeds on the sauerkraut.

SG-- Thanks for the tip. I see how that would definitely work.

Qjuju-- I'd luv to be able to share some with you

Griff-- Master! Sure wish mine came out as purdy as yours. I really like the blackening effect you got on that! And can you believe it?... I find it phenomenal that we both made similar sammies and a followup breakfast, even with the same kind of taters!!!
Got beer???

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:03 am
Griffin well done
well done

Great minds think alike, and so do warped and twisted ones apparently. :twisted:

Return to General Discussion