Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Lamb Belly Tacos

Lamb Belly Tacos

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 12, 2013 10:57 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

In my tamarind glazed lamb rib post, I mentioned that the butcher deboned one of the lamb bellies, making it useless for lamb rib preparation. The idea to smoke a rolled up lamb belly came to mind, and I finally got a chance to put the idea into action. The lamb belly was marinated overnight in a herb & garlic blend, with additional minced garlic:

The rub consisted of whole peppercorns, chopped dehydrated garlic, Himalayan sea salt, sumac, and a salt-free version of Cavenders Greek seasoning:

The lamb belly was smelling pretty good after marinating:

The fattiest side of the belly was scored to help the fat render. It was then topped with the rub, rolled up and tied, and then topped with more rub before being placed on the smoker:

Two garlic bulbs were dipped in olive oil, topped with rosemary, and placed on the BGE:

Two hours in:

The cloves from the smoke roasted rosemary garlic bulbs were mashed up with Greek yogurt. The garlic flavor was more than potent, so this was later thinned out with some sour cream:

After another hour, the lamb belly was removed from the BGE, diced and coated with more rub, then returned to allow the fat to continue to render:

I prepared some Greek style salsa, with roma tomatoes, walla walla sweet onions, cilantro, dice cucumbers, and a mix of salsa and Greek seasonings:

The diced lamb belly was removed after an hour:

Time to eat:

The herb and garlic flavors were quite prominent, and melded very well with the natural flavor of the lamb. The meat was juicy and tender, with nuggets of lamb fat that had morphed into 'lamb cracklings'---extremely savory, flavor packed, slightly crunchy nuggets of perfectly rendered, fatty goodness.

For dessert, I wanted to continue this theme of Mexican-Greek fusion. I settled on a smoked vanilla flan phyllo napoleon. Each sheet of phyllo dough was slathered in melted apple wood-smoked butter, then covered with a generous sprinkling of vanilla bean sugar (for caramelized phyllo):

The dough was chilled in the fridge for several hours to allow it to firm up. It was then sliced and baked while being sandwiched between two cast iron pans at 350 degrees for 12 minutes:

look at all that caramelized sugar...yummy...

The smoked flan custard started with heavy cream which had been hot smoked on the BGE, along with some evaporated milk:

After being chilled, the flan custard was placed in a piping bag, and the napoleons were constructed:

I was more than ready for this dessert:

The vanilla flan custard was rich and smooth with a prominent vanilla flavor. The caramelized phyllo could be it's own dessert. Buttery and crisp, yet with a light and airy texture, mild sweetness, and a light hint of vanilla. The caramel syrup brought the two components together nicely. This dessert has not seen the last of me.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Now THAT'S what I call a taco! Nice photos, too. Lamb belly seems to be turning up a lot these days--I just had some at a cool new restaurant in Miami called NeMeSis. Has anyone else out there smoked or grilled lamb belly recently? Details, please!
SRE

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 am
sroach well done
well done

The amount of work that you put in to these meals are truly inspiring SG!!

Post Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am
tex_toby well done
well done

My goodness, SG! I am at a loss of words! Just give me a BITE! :thumbup:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Now THAT'S what I call a taco! Nice photos, too. Lamb belly seems to be turning up a lot these days--I just had some at a cool new restaurant in Miami called NeMeSis. Has anyone else out there smoked or grilled lamb belly recently? Details, please!
SRE

The closest I've gotten to lamb belly was a local butcher's attempt at lamb bacon - which was excellent, though it took a bit of getting used to.

Nice job, smokin'gal! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fantastic job, SG!! I don't know how you manage it but once again you've outdone yourself!

Post Mon May 13, 2013 3:17 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You certainly brought the WOW factor again, SG! I like the way you go about prepping your creations with all the wrapping and scoring.
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion