Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Orange-Ginger Beef Ribs

Orange-Ginger Beef Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I've amassed an assortment of beef ribs over the past few weeks and am quickly running out of freezer space. The idea for today's post came from a cook I did a few years back, where I had cinnamon-sugar coated pineapple smoking on a rack directly above a brisket flat. The portion of brisket that got (accidentally) basted with the juices from the pineapple made for darn good eats. It was then I decided I needed to try something similar with beef ribs. I gathered the ingredients for the rib rub and marinade:

The dry ingredients were ground up for the rub, while the other ingredients were used for the marinade:

I gathered a pile of individually cut beef back and beef short ribs:

The ribs were placed in a food savor bag and vacuum sealed with the marinade for an overnight stint in the fridge:

The next day, the BGE was prepped and cherry and hickory wood chunks were used for smoke. The ribs were removed from the marinade and tossed onto the smoker:

Ribs on the BGE:

After about 4 hours, I made another small batch of the marinade for basting/braising the ribs:

I also mashed up the sweet potato, which had been cooking alongside the ribs, with butter, sour cream, and some of the rub:

The ribs and sweet potato were then placed back on the BGE. After a short while, dinner was ready:

The beef back ribs were excellent. Moist and juicy, decent amount of smoke, with the "island" flavors really permeating the meat. While the beef short ribs were incredibly tender and flavorful, they lacked marbling and seemed a little dry.

For dessert, I wanted something quick and easy - cherry-raspberry crumb pie. I started with some cherry and raspberry pie filling, which was placed on the smoker for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally:

The crumb topping was made with butter, brown sugar, and flour and a pie shell was parbaked for 10 minutes:

The temp on the BGE was cranked up to 350, the pie was assembled, and then placed into the BGE for an hour:

All done:

Time to dig in:

The pie wasn't very sturdy, and couldn't support the weight of the ice cream, so the pics aren't pretty. But that was one delicious pie - tasted like it had been cooked over a camp fire. And what's fruit pie for dessert without some vanilla ice cream. Just delicious. Just good eats.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 5:51 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Smokin' Gal is on a roll! Killer looking ribs and a compelling reminder that there's life beyond baby backs.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am
sroach well done
well done

Smokin' A work of art as always! The taste had to be unreal.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Smokin' Gal is on a roll! Killer looking ribs and a compelling reminder that there's life beyond baby backs.

Aye - they're called "spareribs" or "side ribs". :twisted:

smokin'gal wrote:
The pie wasn't very sturdy, and couldn't support the weight of the ice cream, so the pics aren't pretty. But that was one delicious pie - tasted like it had been cooked over a camp fire. And what's fruit pie for dessert without some vanilla ice cream. Just delicious. Just good eats.

I'd say good eats all around. The ribs looked fantastic, and even if the pie didn't hold up to the ice cream it still looked great. Nice work, smokin'gal! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Magnificent, SG! Looks/sounds like you had a real flavor fireworks explosion going on there.
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion