Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion CG's Still in Action?

CG's Still in Action?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:41 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I'm curious. Who here still cooks on the CG Super/Smoking Pro? Funny, I remember when they seemed to be in the majority in this forum. :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Sat May 11, 2013 10:44 am
jstewart well done
well done

Still cooking on one....It has held up very well for a little over 6 years now. A little rust on the side firebox, but that is about it. I keep it oiled and wire brush it from time to time.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

My CG is still my #1 choice and going strong :D
In fact I just smoked some salmon on it
ImageFree Image Hosting
It’s a real workhorse, plenty of space and can be configured in so many ways to fit any style of cooking. I hope you’re not thinking on giving yours up beercure??
I’ve seen you do awesome stuff on it :D

Post Sat May 11, 2013 3:23 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have a CG Outlaw rather than a Smokin`Pro, and it`s still my main grill and smoker. I bought a 4-burner gasser last year for small cooks only because locally we`ve had parts of the season where a total fire ban has been imposed. That means propane only for grills, and no charcoal.

The Outlaw is due for a good cleaning and a few more mods, but I still love it. I bought the Outlaw over the more common Smokin`Pro because I needed more grill space for when I have a lot of guests over.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I still have one of my CG's that I use for grilling, always liked the length for indirect cooking. I did how ever sell my smoking pro so I could get the WSM .... Image needed to be a little more cost conservative of fuel usage and the Weber was all I could afford to kick out for.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sat May 11, 2013 5:56 pm
sroach well done
well done

my CG Duo had to go to the dump last year, Rust was too bad to save her..

Post Sun May 12, 2013 4:23 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for responding, guys!

Z--First, it sure is great to see you again! I also see how even your rotisserie mount sparkles. I still really really dig my CG :heart: :heart: :heart: . Lately I've just been considering the fuel cost issue. Your salmon looks delectable! Speaking of awesome, I sure have been missing your awesome posts! :cheers:

Canada--Funny..., initially I was going to go with the Outlaw as well, but opted SP all because silly me wanted the rotis.

Old Smoker-- I like your way of thinking... Something optional for the long cooks. That's where a lot of fuel goes.

Sroach--Bummer man. I understand how rust is especially attracted to Pennsylvania, having lived in Allentown for a couple years.
Got beer???

Post Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm
d_holck well done
well done

I still use my Outlaw, not so much for smoking, but for direct/indirect grilling, especially when I'm cooking ahead in larger quantities. I'll put the fire at one end and be able to do 25+ brats at a time...
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sun May 12, 2013 6:30 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Canada--Funny..., initially I was going to go with the Outlaw as well, but opted SP all because silly me wanted the rotis.

That's the one thing I've always had trouble finding for the Outlaw - a big rotisserie. I'm still looking, as the ones I've seen aren't the greatest. I'd like to eventually find one, though, as the Outlaw is big enough to handle a small pig if there's a spit for it.

And that's "pig", not "suckling pig". Out here a pig of the size I'm looking for is called a "weaner pig" - not a baby but not quite full-sized either.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 12, 2013 6:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Char Griller sells 43" and 53" spit rods that fits any rotisserie and will work well with the outlaw
http://www.chargriller.com/index.php?pa ... 1&Itemid=2

Post Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
Char Griller sells 43" and 53" spit rods that fits any rotisserie and will work well with the outlaw
http://www.chargriller.com/index.php?pa ... 1&Itemid=2

:lol: Might you know it... Now they do! Not at the time I first got mine. Thanks a million, Z :D
Got beer???

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I miss my Chargriller (all that space). It did not keep well after being in Seattle for several years. Tried to dismantle it when I moved to my new place back in August 2011, but it was just a goner.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 am
Heebzman medium
medium

Wow it's been a while since I've been here. New look, and I remembered my password... :)
I still have mine but honestly for the last few years it's been used as a holder for all my side charcoal baskets, chimney, ,etc. It's rusted up pretty good but still solid. My oldest son asked if he could have it and I told him yes, he just hasn't grabbed it yet.
I've since moved on, like a lot of guys here, to the WSM. Also have a Weber Performer as my go-to grill, ,and a Weber Q200 for tailgates, camping, etc. I will give m praise and respect to the ol Chargriller. It did teach me about smoking and how to hold a constant temp. I've turned out some mighty good Q from it over the years. However compared to the WSM, its just inefficient....sometimes I would go through almost 40 lbs of charcoal on very long smoke sessions, and you would have to babysit the smoker the whole session. I even had two big charcoal baskets that I made so I could 'hot swap' when needed. I also still have the afterburner propane burner for it.....wow wonder what I should do with that ??? :?:

It is nice to know that it will live on for a while. Maybe it will get my oldest son into smoking (he loves grilling but doesn't have a smoker).
Two 18.5 WSM's...the Twins ! / Performer / Q200

Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

My CG served me well for 7 years, but I just wasn't using it anymore and I gave it to my BIL who is using it up in Maine. I have fond memories of it, but I moved on and have no regrets.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 am
Griffin well done
well done

I never had a CG, but I have a Brinkman Pitmaster. Got it way back in '03. It now enjoys a retired life down at the ranch (near Goliad, Texas) and only gets used a few times a year. Its been repainted a few times, but its lived most of its life uncovered. Still has years left in her. Its where I learned how to smoke.

Next

Return to General Discussion