Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Corningware or Pyrex on the grill?

Corningware or Pyrex on the grill?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If we talked about this it was a long time ago, so I'll start a new thread.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use tempered glass cookware like Pyrex or Corningware in a low-heat (325F), indirect situation? I mentioned my mom's scalloped potatoes and ham in the Mother's Day thread and she always uses Corningware, but obviously in oven.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Roger that, Houston. It's a go, given the circumstances you describe-- You[re definitely safe if you keep it indirect and below 350 with either. Beyond that I do not know. The one thing you might want to know is the issue of stains (of coarse you can get those in a conventional oven as well). In the event of smoke or some other stains, you can resolve those by soaking the ware in a bleach water solution. Good plan, Brad. Have fun! :D
Got beer???

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:32 am
lostarrow well done
well done

Don't use your wife's good Pyrex on a smoker!
Smoked baked beans once, took an hour to clean the dish & got an A!! Chewing for the whole hour. :oops:
Use a disposable aluminum pan
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:56 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Use with caution and only over indirect heat. Also, make sure the dish isn't anywhere near a burner.

I recall an "exploding scalloped potato" incident at my sister's place a few years ago when by former BiL turned on the burner under a Pyrex dish "just to help them along".

Yeah - it helped all right. It helped them all over the deck and the inside of the grill. Not pretty, but at least I didn't have to clean up the mess. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 pm
BBQ Deputy

So did that incident help him along to becoming a former in-law? :wink:

Thanks for the replies. I'm anticipating that whatever I use will be forever relegated to grill use so the indoor cookware is already off limits. :lol:

I'm thinking that it'd be a good job for a 26" kettle because the coals could be kept a good distance from the dish.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Brad, have you thought of investing in a Dutch oven? The problem with aluminum is that it leeches the aluminum into the food, which is considered toxic, for whatever that's worth if anything. :D
Got beer???

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 pm
BBQ Deputy

You're on my wavelength, and there's a Lodge store in the Tanger Outlet Mall in Wisconsin Dells. :wink:

My only concern is that in my very limited experience, cast iron tends to really brown the bejesus out of that part of the food it's in contact with. That's why I'm wondering about glassware.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
You're on my wavelength, and there's a Lodge store in the Tanger Outlet Mall in Wisconsin Dells. :wink:

My only concern is that in my very limited experience, cast iron tends to really brown the bejesus out of that part of the food it's in contact with. That's why I'm wondering about glassware.

You can alleviate much of that phenomenon by going ceramic coated CI. Moreover, the ceramic lets you cook the more acidic foods without ruining the seasoning. :D See how that's just like using Corningware casserole cookware? :D
Got beer???

Post Sun May 12, 2013 1:35 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

You can alleviate much of that phenomenon by going ceramic coated CI. Moreover, the ceramic lets you cook the more acidic foods without ruining the seasoning. :D See how that's just like using Corningware casserole cookware? :D

+1. I really like pans and casserole dishes like the KitchenAid Red series, because they're cast-iron with a fairly heavy enamel on them.

And they don't blow up. :twisted:

As for the ex-BiL, yes that incident helped things along. Or to be more specific, it was the general know-it-all attitude and stubborn streak that did it. Ignoring a Char-Broil recall and setting his deck on fire probably had something to do with it too. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 1:20 pm
BBQ Deputy

I guess some enamelled CI is in my future, then! I'll have to see what Kohl's has so I can use Mrs. Chicken's employee discount.

Return to General Discussion