Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller Kamodo at a year

Chargriller Kamodo at a year

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Well cleaned out my CGK and examined it.
Empty ashes each cook but haven't cleaned in 6 months, looked especiallyl at fire grate , porceloin coated inner sleeve , inner wall & gaskets.
Holding up way better than expected
Fire grate good shape, as best I can tell no cracks in sleeve & no rust , gaskets & wall in great shape!
I've replaced 1 gasket ( grease fire ) some of the cheap screws were rusting but a spray of Pam fixed.
I replaced some nuts that were loosening with lock nuts. Otherwise in great shape!
The wood shelves show some wear but should have 2-3 years left.
This years model is $289 @ Kroger , they did improve the air intake with a gasket this year.
I posted a question on the Kamodo guru forum , probably a 1000 CGK owners on it & only positive remarks for how holding up.
http://www.kamadoguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=4446
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

Thanks for the info. I am still considering one of these, the ceramic grill that Costco carries, or as a splurge a BGE. At 1/2 the price of the cheapest ceramic models, I am interested.

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Does cleaning it require anything more than just wiping it down inside with a damp towel?

Post Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

smokeybeaver wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am still considering one of these, the ceramic grill that Costco carries, or as a splurge a BGE. At 1/2 the price of the cheapest ceramic models, I am interested.

I looked at the showroom model at Costco, and it had more cracks in than I would want to have visible in a showroom. The inside firebox was badly cracked, as were multiple stress points on the shell itself. That would be enough to scare me away. Next time, I will probably look at on of the Char Griller steel jobs for $300. Then again, a BGE seems to stand the test of time. My Grill dome is still functioning after about 7 years, but it sure ain't pretty...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat May 11, 2013 3:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

phillyjazz wrote:
smokeybeaver wrote:

I looked at the showroom model at Costco, and it had more cracks in than I would want to have visible in a showroom. The inside firebox was badly cracked, as were multiple stress points on the shell itself. That would be enough to scare me away. Next time, I will probably look at on of the Char Griller steel jobs for $300. Then again, a BGE seems to stand the test of time. My Grill dome is still functioning after about 7 years, but it sure ain't pretty...

Philly - I wonder if the store staff dropped that one?

I was looking at a Char-Broil kamado yesterday at Lowe's, and it was $899 and didn't even come close to the quality of the BGE (which was about $100 more). All the clay surfaces you'd find on a BGE were metal-covered rock wool on the Char-Broil.

Here's something I learned last week when I was at a friend's tandoori restaurant. It's the clay that makes the oven great. Clay is apparently denser than the "cement and crushed glass" homemeade tandoors I've seen on YouTube, and that means more thermal mass, which means better heat retention, lower fuel consumption, and more consistent temps. (That makes me want to put a clay lining on the Outlaw, in fact, but that's just crazy talk. :twisted: )

It's the thermal mass of the clay walls on BGEs and other good kamado cookers that retains the heat so well and after looking at a bunch of kamados lately I'm not convinced that the metal-walled insulated cookers would be as good. Since the market season hasn't started yet I can't afford a BGE yet, but that's the direction I'm leaning now.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion