Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion When was YOUR first time?!

When was YOUR first time?!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

When was YOUR first time? To grab tongs and take your turn at the grill? Read about a high school class in Cincinatti that uses BBQ to teach teenagers lessons about life.

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/04/30/big ... Yu__5XH0UU

I'm curious to hear when YOU started grilling, and what's the appropriate age to teach your kids how to grill.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Probably the Boy Scouts at about 12 years old. First grill was a Hibatchi given to me by my Grand mother at 17 years old. Bought my first Weber at 19 years old.. Shots of my grand daughter Harley age 3. Starting her right.

Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu May 09, 2013 12:43 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
http://barbecuebible.com/2013/04/30/big-red-barbeque-starting-young/#.UYu__5XH0UU
That's a really neat idea and it's good to see that the school has some corporate partners in the project so that it's not all classroom work.

I was probably somewhere around 12 or 13 when I started grilling for myself. My dad would cook everything well-done and by that time I liked my beef rare (and my burgers raw), so I would cook my own dinner or at the very least try to supervise and tell him when my burger or steak needed to be turned or taken off. Not that that approach ever worked very well, because he'd still drag his feet and insist that it needed to be cooked more. :lol:

I don't think it's ever too early to expose kids to live-fire cooking; obviously they'd be heavily supervised early on, with the level of supervision decreasing as their skills improve. For me, the best moment wasn't when my dad first let me cook on my own but when he let me light the grill for the first time. With his oxyacetylene torch. :twisted:

Post Thu May 09, 2013 2:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I grilled my first steak when I was 7 years old. It was a small T-bone done on a hibachi, and it was great. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Ha!... Just like Canada, only that I was closer to 15 years old. My elder brother pulled a Tom Sawyer number on me. He asked me to tend the steaks for just a bit while he did some final indoor prep. Before I knew it, he "dumped" it all in my hands. :lol: Those little hibachis are the greatest teachers ever! That's where I learned how to deal with flareups, cool spots, hot spots, etc.
Got beer???

Post Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 am
sroach well done
well done

My father was a chef by trade, so we all learned our way around the kitchen at an early age. But like most of you guys, as soon as some one would let me work that grill I was all over it.

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I was a late bloomer I started at 18. Sitting at home watching Food Network Memorial day BBQ specials I was inspired to go out and buy a Smokey Joe. I lived in an apartment so I grilled on my fire escape. As I wrote in another thread by my 3rd cook I almost burned my building down. It didn't stop me from grilling and I learned an important lesson all charcoal isn't the same. :D

:bbq:

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

wiseguy wrote:
I was a late bloomer I started at 18.

Me too. I was in college--about 19 years old--when I bought and manned my first grill. Wonder what ever happened to that Smokey Joe....

Return to General Discussion