Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Burrito y Tacos al Pastor

Burrito y Tacos al Pastor

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 08, 2013 3:18 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Very simple cookout, but I share it with you because I do not notice it come up too much and someone might want to try it. Got hold of some carne al pastor meat (pork)

Chopped up some onion and chipotle in adobo sauce and tossed into my trusty Griswold's CI skillet. Also started some mesquite smoking. Out to the pit.

And so began building... carne al pastor, shredded cabbage with cilantro, crema mexicana, salsa, chopped avocado, and in the final pic, even a touch of crumbled chicharrones :grin:

Or, if that don't float your boat, may I offer you a burrito? Includes carne al pastor, pulled chicken, pineapple, rice. Topped with salsa and tortilla chips on the side. :D :cheers:

Got beer???

Post Wed May 08, 2013 7:53 am
Griffin well done
well done

That would have made some mighty fine Cindo de Mayo grub. Good looking food as usual.

Post Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am
sroach well done
well done

+1 on what Grif said. Very nice looking tacos...

Post Wed May 08, 2013 10:32 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BC, what part of the pig is used for the carne al pastor meat? I wouldn't be able to find it in my local grocery store and would have to make my own. And your end results certainly would make it worth the effort!

Post Wed May 08, 2013 11:35 am
tex_toby well done
well done

MMMMaaaaaaama MIIA! :victory:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:

+1!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed May 08, 2013 4:26 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
tex_toby wrote:

+1!

Judging from the first pic, that ought to be "MMMMaaaaaaama MEATA", yes?

I just tried saying "Carne-al Pastor-pork-meata" a few times.

It's fun! As fun as those tacos look - nice job, BC! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:
tex_toby wrote:

+1!

Judging from the first pic, that ought to be "MMMMaaaaaaama MEATA", yes?

I just tried saying "Carne-al Pastor-pork-meata" a few times.

It's fun! As fun as those tacos look - nice job, BC! :D

:lol: Muchas gracias, mi amigo!
Got beer???

Post Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Ooops... thanks everyone :D

ScreamingChicken wrote:
BC, what part of the pig is used for the carne al pastor meat? I wouldn't be able to find it in my local grocery store and would have to make my own. And your end results certainly would make it worth the effort!

Brad, in its most traditional manner, al pastor can come from anywhere on the pig. It is roasted on a vertical spit and little bits are shaved from all over. In this case, I suspect it was most probably chuck, though I must admit there was precious little fat. You could certainly make your own... just figure out your marinade with say achiote paste or adobo sauce and such. :)
Got beer???

Post Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Ooops... thanks everyone :D

ScreamingChicken wrote:

Brad, in its most traditional manner, al pastor can come from anywhere on the pig. It is roasted on a vertical spit and little bits are shaved from all over. In this case, I suspect it was most probably chuck, though I must admit there was precious little fat. You could certainly make your own... just figure out your marinade with say achiote paste or adobo sauce and such. :)

I've used shoulder the few times I had the energy to make it. It is a LOT of work. I ended up ordering it from the local Mexican places (we have some VERY authentic ones around where I live (suburban Philadelphia) ) Takes a lot of varieties of peppers. I'll have to look into buying the stuff pre-marinated like that. I have been having a ball with Chicaron lard.. and pre-made mole and fresh had-made corn tortillas.

I DID order "barbacoa" this weekend and was unimpressed. Bland hunks of fatty goat. Guess they can't ALL be winner dishes ... That looks delish !!
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed May 08, 2013 6:51 pm
sroach well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:

I've used shoulder the few times I had the energy to make it. It is a LOT of work. I ended up ordering it from the local Mexican places (we have some VERY authentic ones around where I live (suburban Philadelphia) ) Takes a lot of varieties of peppers. I'll have to look into buying the stuff pre-marinated like that. I have been having a ball with Chicaron lard.. and pre-made mole and fresh had-made corn tortillas.

I DID order "barbacoa" this weekend and was unimpressed. Bland hunks of fatty goat. Guess they can't ALL be winner dishes ... That looks delish !!

PhillyJazz, Can you PM me the place you bought it from?

Post Wed May 08, 2013 10:42 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:

Say, thanks Philly!

Bland goat does sound like a baad option. I feel so fortunate that I can get the fresh, refrigerarted lard, too, and not that hydrogenated mess. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Thu May 09, 2013 7:12 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

sroach wrote:
phillyjazz wrote:

PhillyJazz, Can you PM me the place you bought it from?

It's no big secret... Plenty to go around ... http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-primo-taqueria-norristown

$2.00 Tacos are killer, and they have a condiment bar with 6 different salsas and roasted hot peppers. Well worth a trip to Norristown !
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 am
Griffin well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:

Huh...that's not how they do it down here in Texas. At least not traditionally. Barbacoa is the meat from a cow's head. I remeber seeing fresh cow heads in the grocery stores growing up as a kid in Corpus Christi (and not the ethnic ones, every grocery store). Ever since mad cow disease, I don't think you can get whole cow skulls, now I think people resort to just buying the cheek meat.

Goat is simply called "cabrito".

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:31 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Return to General Discussion