Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ribs and Chicken Bombs!

Ribs and Chicken Bombs!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Well, I finally had some time to be able fire up the smoker and do something other than just grilling this past Sunday. I started out by planning to fix some babybacks and beef ribs. My wife asked about inviting some friends over to join us :D :D and I of course said yes! The menu expanded from ribs and corn on the cob to include cole slaw (which my wife makes) and chicken bombs as an appetizer.

I fixed the ribs with a simple coating of EVOO, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. I ended up cooking them about 6.5 hours or so with 2.5 hours of that time in the foil. They came out nice and moist :D :D

For the chicken bombs, I mixed up some cream cheese and grated cheddar cheese and put a generous amount in each of the jalapeno halves. I gave the chicken thighs a coating of salt and fresh ground pepper and then wrapped them around the cheese filled jalapeno and then came the bacon. I ended up cooking them for almost an hour, indirect, on my Weber Kettle. I used a couple chunks of cherry for smoke.

My wife and her friend thought they were a little warm (I left some of the vein and seeds in for the heat) while I and my friend thought they were just right. He said the girls were "wussy." In the future, I'll make some a little "more tame" for my wife. Chicken Bombs are certainly something I'll fix again and experiment with different cheeses and spices/rubs. Thank you Dyal for sharing :D :D

Here are the chicken bombs on the grill:

Ready for eating!!

and of course, ribs:

I have to say, give the Chicken Bombs a try, you'll be glad you did!!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The ribs look great, Jimmy! As for the chicken bombs, they also look awesome but they also look pretty big too. Did you use extra-large thighs?

And if so where'd you get them? The ones I see lately are so small they look more like wings. :mrgreen:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm
sroach well done
well done

+1 that's a nice day's cook.. Those Bombs do look good! Damn you and Dyal for posting such pictures.. I will have to try them now.

Post Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

Everything looks great!

jstewart wrote:
I ended up cooking them about 6.5 hours or so with 2.5 hours of that time in the foil. They came out nice and moist

What temp are you cooking at to be able to go that long overall and with 2.5 hours in foil?

jstewart wrote:
Thank you Dyal for sharing :D :D

+1
Eating meat is murder.....mmmm, tasty, tasty murder.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Post Tue May 07, 2013 5:08 pm
jstewart well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
The ribs look great, Jimmy! As for the chicken bombs, they also look awesome but they also look pretty big too. Did you use extra-large thighs?

And if so where'd you get them? The ones I see lately are so small they look more like wings. :mrgreen:

Thanks! These were some of the better ribs I've fixed in a while. The thighs really were average size. In fact, it was tough wrapping them around some of the larger cheese filled jalapeños. I got them at Trader Joes and they were already boneless/skinless. If I have time next go-round, I may buy them "bone in" and debone and butterfly myself to make them easier to wrap.

sroach wrote:
+1 that's a nice day's cook.. Those Bombs do look good! Damn you and Dyal for posting such pictures.. I will have to try them now.

My pleasure :) :)

JD_Smokes wrote:
Everything looks great!

jstewart wrote:
I ended up cooking them about 6.5 hours or so with 2.5 hours of that time in the foil. They came out nice and moist

What temp are you cooking at to be able to go that long overall and with 2.5 hours in foil?

I try to keep the temps around 225 to 235.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Splendid cookout, Jimmy! You got some beautiful coloring going on there. Grrrreat job! :) 8) :drool:
Got beer???

Post Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nicely done, Jimmy!

Return to General Discussion