Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BGE Daisy Wheel Rusty

BGE Daisy Wheel Rusty

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 am
sroach well done
well done

Fellow BGE owners,

My Daisy wheel is looking a little rusty, so I found a pretty good article here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136 ... eel#latest

Was wondering what you guys do about the rust on your daisy wheel?

Thanks

Post Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Is the daisy wheel the cast iron top vent? I wonder if powdercoating would be a possible option, but temperature could be an issue.

Post Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 pm
sroach well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Is the daisy wheel the cast iron top vent? I wonder if powdercoating would be a possible option, but temperature could be an issue.

Yes Sir, there is a ceramic top for when you are not cooking, this is the cast iron top for controlling your airflow.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 am
Griffin well done
well done

I always place mine back in the Egg when I'm done cooking and close the top with the ceramic top. Never had a problem with rust. I'd be hesitant to follow that guys directions. Put it directly on the coals and open it wide open? Its cast iron, but still...to much heat and it can crack. Heard of it happening before. I'd remove the rust just like a cast iron skillet using whatever method you prefer and then reseason. And not sure why he reseasoned in the house, I would have done it on the egg to prevent the house from stinking up.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 12:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
I always place mine back in the Egg when I'm done cooking and close the top with the ceramic top. Never had a problem with rust. I'd be hesitant to follow that guys directions. Put it directly on the coals and open it wide open? Its cast iron, but still...to much heat and it can crack. Heard of it happening before. I'd remove the rust just like a cast iron skillet using whatever method you prefer and then reseason. And not sure why he reseasoned in the house, I would have done it on the egg to prevent the house from stinking up.

Griffin is right about cast iron and high heat. If high heat can crack one of my CG grates it could do the same to the vent.

My favorite way of removing rust from CI is to clamp the piece in a vise and go over it with an extra-fine brass brush that fits in the chuck of my cordless drill. The brush makes short work of rust, and then I reseason it on the grill over medium heat as I always do. Wear a mask or use a dust collector, though, as this process kicks up a lot of fine rust "dust".
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

Yes Sir, there is a ceramic top for when you are not cooking, this is the cast iron top for controlling your airflow.
I didn't realize that; I thought the cast iron piece was a permanent part of the lid.

Since it's removable, what about storing it in a Tupperware or similar airtight container with a couple of small packets of desiccant to absorb the moisture?

Post Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I'm just like Griffin! I just take mine off and always place inside. Put the ceramic cap on and I'm good to go :)

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:06 am
sroach well done
well done

That's the strange thing I do as well, before I bought the egg I found a post (probably on Grif's blog) that showed storing it in there after your cook. Have done that from day one..

Thanks guys.

Post Sun May 12, 2013 10:00 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
I always place mine back in the Egg when I'm done cooking and close the top with the ceramic top.

Hmmm. I never got a ceramic top. I don't have an issue with rust as much as I do with the daisy wheel just getting stuck. I think I need to just clean and oil it....and ask the dealer what happened to my ceramic top.

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:27 am
sroach well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
Griffin wrote:
I always place mine back in the Egg when I'm done cooking and close the top with the ceramic top.

Hmmm. I never got a ceramic top. I don't have an issue with rust as much as I do with the daisy wheel just getting stuck. I think I need to just clean and oil it....and ask the dealer what happened to my ceramic top.

I would SG, not only does it look great I think it will help extinguish the fire quicker.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am
toyman medium
medium

I would definitely ask where the ceramic top is. It will keep you water tight and help you save some lump also. My daisy wheel is so well seasoned, I don't think it could rust! I normally put it under my gasser after the cook and it's in great shape after 5 years. I would think putting it in a hot fire would not only put it at risk for cracking, but it will also burn off all the seasoning that protects it? Mine gets a little sticky, but I start my egg without anything on top, and once I put the daisy wheel on as the egg is heating up, it melts the seasoning and opens right up.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Wed May 15, 2013 7:32 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:

smokin'gal like the others have said get yourself that ceramic top. The Egg goes a long way on a little lump when you can seal it back up when you are done. The fire goes out almost at once and there is quite a bit of lump left for reuse. It also would do very well at keeping the rain out, something I KNOW you can relate to. Just be careful about raising the lid with the ceramic cap on. It can fall off. Same thing about removing the cover, be sure not to take the cap off when the cover lifts off. On my second Egg I took some leftover high temperature gasket material and ran a ring around the very top of the chimney. Gives a nice snug fit and solves the other problems. I need to do it to my other Egg or one of these days I'm gonna forget which one has the gasket on the chimney and which doesn't. If your dealer doesn't do right by you, you can buy the cap. I'd just buy it from another dealer if your dealer won't make it right.

sroach-like many of the others I store my daisey wheel cap inside the Egg. I put it on the grill grate when I shut it down and cap it. If I see a little rust starting I simply spray it with PAM for Grilling. I hadn't had any bigger rust problems until recently. I couldn't use my Eggs for 6 weeks while my Kitchen was renovated. My Egg with the gasketed chimney did a good job protecting the MC inside. The other Egg not so much. It had rust all around the raised lettering, more than I'd ever seen. But I sprayed it with the PAM for Grilling and it seems OK.

Jim

Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Jim,

You post made me think of another question. Even with the ceramic top on, it seems like the inside of the egg gets a little damp after a heavy rain.

Do you guys experience this?

Post Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 am
QJuju well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Thanks Jim,

You post made me think of another question. Even with the ceramic top on, it seems like the inside of the egg gets a little damp after a heavy rain.

Do you guys experience this?

I don't... but I suspect that could be due to humidity and overnight temps at least some of the time. Having said that, Louisville is one of the most humid places I have ever been.

Do you use a water pan in any way? Just trying to think of how the water would get introduced into the egg.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 pm
sroach well done
well done

Nope, no water pan. and I don't see water and nothing seems wet, it just has a smell of mositure.

Next

Return to General Discussion