Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A different kind of smoked pork chop

A different kind of smoked pork chop

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Inspired by Toby, I set out this morning to procure some pork chops. These are just a tad different however from what one may ordinarily be accustomed to seeing. These come already smoked, as the package indicates:

To the pit... started them indirect, then finished direct

My goodness, these were the bees knees! My thanks to Toby for making me get them. :wink: Tasted like "ham chops." Plated them with a nice big hot potato with crema and chives, and special imported green beans from France.

Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 am
Griffin well done
well done

Great looking plate, beercuer. I don't think...nay, I know that I have never seen pre-smoked pork chops before. So were they cooked all the way through and you just needed to sear them off?

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:17 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Pre-smoked chops, huh? That's as new one on me! I always buy assorted chops because they are the cheapest. Your's look deeee-licious though. Did you save any for me?

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks guys :D

These chops are smoked like bacon is smoked-- they still need to be cooked. If you have any Latino specialtiy markets in your area, check those. Also, Hormel offiers something similar called ham chops. Perhaps, if you requested your butcher, he/she could order them for you. These smoked ones have tremendous flavor.
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice grub, BC!

Just about every 2nd or 3rd butcher up here sells smoked pork chops - both the kind you need to cook, and heat 'n serve as well. They're really common fare in Western Canada, as is the smoked full pork loin (which feeds a crowd). :D

If you're a real DIY type and have your own cold smoker, it isn't at all hard to make these either. Just cure a pork loin roast (bone-in or otherwise) and smoke it like you would a ham. Even though I'm trying to stay away from processed meats, I've made a few and they're really good.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks great, BC! I had pork chops last night too. Yours looks way better than mine did. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you CBG and Dyal :D

Dyal-- I don't know... I've seen your chops in the past, and how much I wished that I could make them like that. This is so phenomenal it's gotten funny-- Once again, you and I thinking/doing along the same lines. :D

Toby-- Oh, and I have two left!
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:

Beercuer (tomorrow morning): "And that was when the stampede broke loose and came through my front door, officer...."
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
beercuer wrote:

Beercuer (tomorrow morning): "And that was when the stampede broke loose and came through my front door, officer...."

Perhaps I would be well advised to return to the grocer... . I'm sure that anyone who likes bacon or ham would like these as well. :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:59 pm
sroach well done
well done

BC,

Looks awesome and that potato. Mmmmmmmmm...

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
beercuer wrote:

Perhaps I would be well advised to return to the grocer... . I'm sure that anyone who likes bacon or ham would like these as well. :D

I ran across some of the commercial smoked pork chops (these were by Harvest Foods) last night in the supermarket. They looked good but nowhere near as good as the ones posted here. I'm pretty sure they'd be labelled as "ham chops" anywhere else because they were pretty pink but also "heat 'n serve" and looked like pre-cooked ham steaks. I left them where they were.

The ones beercuer used in this post are a step above the usual fare. Normally I have to go to a butcher shop for these.

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:05 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I suspect the ones I bought were sodium nitrate/nitrite free. The ones under the Hormel label have a more decidedly ham color. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm
BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Looks good! Nice plate!!
Rob

"Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter"

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

BuckeyeRob wrote:
Looks good! Nice plate!!

Thank you, BuckeyeRob! :D
Got beer???

Post Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for the recomendations. I seen them by me but never took a chance on them.

Next

Return to General Discussion