Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BGE Question?

BGE Question?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I'm curious. You folks who have Eggs, how much in dollars or volume would you say you save in charcoal of like say, your previous CG or whatever? Thanks! :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Lots... But I also grill lots. ;) Probably 6 nights per week on average. I can get about 30 hours low and slow (225-250 deg f) on about 5 pounds of Royal Oak lump charcoal. Usually, if I load my large BGE once, it will last me all week on normal cooks. Just close her up and use the leftover coals all week. Definitely worth the money if you are an everyday griller like me. IMHO.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Hard to say. With low and slows, tons. But if you for it up 600+ for a steak or a pizza, it goes quick. Then again, it would do that on any rig. Normal cooks at 350-400, you save more than you would on a Weber. Plus, you shut it down, it all hours out and you can re-use it.

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanx guys. Sounds to me like sooner or later you would recover your money from such an investment. Now I wonder how a Kamado stands up to a BGE. That would be a REAL curious question. :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:36 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Yeah I go through a 20 lb bag in about 6 weeks or so. I cook pretty much every day and make pizzas at 600 degrees once a week.

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:21 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
Yeah I go through a 20 lb bag in about 6 weeks or so. I cook pretty much every day and make pizzas at 600 degrees once a week.

That is astonishing, Eddie... far, far less compared to what I consume. Thanks. :shock: :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:49 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Now I wonder how a Kamado stands up to a BGE. That would be a REAL curious question. :D

A BGE is a ceramic Kamodo - are you talking about a specific brand (like Kamodo Joe)? Are you thinking about buying one? I love my BGE and you really can't beat the fuel consumption. However, sometimes I wish I had as much real estate on it as I had with my Chargriller Pro. Once I figure out if I should keep renting or purchase a reasonably priced home (fat chance here in Seattle), it will determine what my next purchase will be. I'd love to see my BGE sitting next to a stick burner like a Lang out in my backyard.

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:32 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:

That is astonishing, Eddie... far, far less compared to what I consume. Thanks. :shock: :D

Yep, I'm pretty religious about choking down the fire right after I'm done. And reusing the old lump that's in there....

For example today when I make the pizzas I'll add new lump just to make sure there is enough for 2 650 degree cooks.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
beercuer wrote:
Now I wonder how a Kamado stands up to a BGE. That would be a REAL curious question. :D

A BGE is a ceramic Kamodo - are you talking about a specific brand (like Kamodo Joe)? Are you thinking about buying one? I love my BGE and you really can't beat the fuel consumption. However, sometimes I wish I had as much real estate on it as I had with my Chargriller Pro. Once I figure out if I should keep renting or purchase a reasonably priced home (fat chance here in Seattle), it will determine what my next purchase will be. I'd love to see my BGE sitting next to a stick burner like a Lang out in my backyard.

I feel so ignorant about these things. At this point, the idea is one of those put-it-in-my-pipe-and-smoke-it dreams. I was wondering how a CharGriller Kamado would stand up to a BGE. I understand they are way cheaper and getting tremendously popular, though I believe they are metal rather than ceramic. Fact is, I am still in luv with my CG SuperPro with SFB, and I am a firm believer in one cannot have too much grill estate, as you indicate SG. But I also cannot overlook the desirability of savings on fuel costs. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
beercuer wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:

Yep, I'm pretty religious about choking down the fire right after I'm done. And reusing the old lump that's in there....

For example today when I make the pizzas I'll add new lump just to make sure there is enough for 2 650 degree cooks.

It has been so long since I've been able to recycle used fuel. (I once had a "Happy Cooker" kettle that was great for that, unlike my CG).
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am
Griffin well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:

Really? I go through an 8.8lb bag probably in a week and a half. I guess it depends on what you are cooking, how hot and length of cook. Then again, I do most cooking at 400F and sometimes I'll light it and it won't be for 30 minutes before I put my food on.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 am
tex_toby well done
well done

I am able to re-cycle fuel on my Gator Pit. Typically I can load my charcoal tray up with coals once and then the next time I cook, I'll just add a handful of new coals and I'll do that for two or three times before I need to fully clean out ash. I could never do that on my CG. You just need to be able to fully cut off the air supply when you are done cooking. I wouldn't mind having a ceramic sitting next to my Gator, but it's hard to justify the expense when I can do everything I need on my Gator. It's really built to be a smoker and not a grill, but I use it as both.

tex
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:46 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:

Really? I go through an 8.8lb bag probably in a week and a half. I guess it depends on what you are cooking, how hot and length of cook. Then again, I do most cooking at 400F and sometimes I'll light it and it won't be for 30 minutes before I put my food on.

Yeah once my stuff is ready to use it's on...I choke down the fire right after the food comes off. I'll go several cooks without even refilling it as well.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:
I am able to re-cycle fuel on my Gator Pit. Typically I can load my charcoal tray up with coals once and then the next time I cook, I'll just add a handful of new coals and I'll do that for two or three times before I need to fully clean out ash. I could never do that on my CG. You just need to be able to fully cut off the air supply when you are done cooking. I wouldn't mind having a ceramic sitting next to my Gator, but it's hard to justify the expense when I can do everything I need on my Gator. It's really built to be a smoker and not a grill, but I use it as both.

tex

I remember pics of your pit, Toby, and it looked top notch indeed! :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:

tex

The closest I get to that is my Weber Smokey Joe Platinum portable grill. It only held a few burgers or steaks, but it also only went through 1/4 of a chimney for a 30 minute cook. That's about 1 1/4 pounds a cook, and the Weber seals so tightly when it's done that almost no coals are lost. I've heard this is also the case with Gators and (especially) BGEs, but I don't know how true it is for the CGs and Primos and other kamado-style cookers.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion