Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion USDA "Prime Grade" Rib Roast

USDA "Prime Grade" Rib Roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Last Thurs. I made the 40 mile trip north to Fairway Market to purchase a USDA "Prime" Rib Roast for Saturday family function. Fairway had advertised "Prime" Grade Rib Steaks or Roasts for $8.99lb and I ended up purchasing a nice four bone roast, weighing 10lbs and costing $90. just to see if "Prime" grade made a difference. I'm glad my wife doesn't access this site, cause she wouldn't be too happy about the cost.

I only make Rib Roast two or three times a year for Christmas and Easter Day family dinners or on a special occasion and only when it coincides with the Shoprite Supermarket sale price of $4.99 or $5.99lb for USDA "Choice", which has always been satisfactory. Fact is I prefer brisket over rib roast, since brisket is more versatile with less waste and cheaper.

On Saturday I prepped the roast by applying a light coating of gravy master, then sprinkling it with some kosher salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Placed the roast on the gas grill over low heat and after 2 1/2 hours removed it and let it sit. The Roast was juicy and tender, and a decent one time experience, but not outstanding enough to sway me from the cheaper "Choice" grade roasts I have always bought.

Hey, just my opinion, don't tell my wife.

Joe

(seasoned and ready for roasting)

(off the bone and ready to be served)

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:37 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

What happens on this site, stays on the site. :roll:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Mums the word on the price paid. 8) I've only cooked rib roast twice, the second one being from a whole prime ribeye subprimal that I dry aged for 60 days. I also did this to a full packer Waygu brisket. Both were intensely flavorful and nothing like what one would tend to get from a steakhouse or BBQ joint. If you have any interest, I would encourage you to give it a shot with a choice rib roast and see if you like the difference.

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice looking roast, Joe!

And thanks for the tip on buying Prime beef. Canada has a slightly different grading system but I've been considering buying some of the AAA grade standing rib roasts lately. Now I may not, because now that I think of it I've had some of these when they were cooked by friends and family and I don't think the difference in taste was worth the premium price either.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Too many times I have actually had "select" that was more satisfying than "choice." Rather than grade labels per se, I find the "Certified Angus Beef" to be the top notch offering. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

smokin'gal wrote:
I've only cooked rib roast twice,
This has to be one of the most unexpected things I've ever read here. :lol:

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Too many times I have actually had "select" that was more satisfying than "choice." Rather than grade labels per se, I find the "Certified Angus Beef" to be the top notch offering. :D

Certified Angus is genetically going to produce beef between Choice and Prime and thus they forgo the USDA grading standards. Some is better than others. I have often found Select too lean and thus, tough. The rib cut tends to be naturally marbled no matter what, so often the difference between Choice and Prime is negligible and not worth the cost difference. Nice to treat yourself once in awhile though. I pretty much always buy Angus.

$8.99/lb. is cheap for Prime graded ANYTHING !!
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:05 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
smokin'gal wrote:
I've only cooked rib roast twice,
This has to be one of the most unexpected things I've ever read here. :lol:

Well, the truth is that I've cooked beef ribs dozens of times and rib-eye steaks hundreds of times, but I rarely cook rib roasts since I often cook for one (and I'm on a budget). I usually cook round, chuck, sirloin or tri-tip roasts instead of rib roasts because they're more economical.

Oh - and a lot of my friends and family members cook standing rib roasts on just about every occasion, so there's no shortage of these. I eat enough of 'em that I kinda prefer my own rib roasts to be in the form of steaks. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

phillyjazz wrote:
$8.99/lb. is cheap for Prime graded ANYTHING !!

Fairway has had "Prime Grade" Rib Roast twice so far this year. As Fairway market chain expands, I'm hoping they spread south thru NJ. Doubt if they will ever get close to Pa, but you never know. I'm waiting for their annual run of "Copper River Salmon".

Joe

Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Mmm... That looks fantastic.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion