Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beef Ribs

Beef Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Smoked these up over the weekend. Rubbed them down with a spicy beef rub, then smoked them low and slow for about 5.5 hours. Used Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Oak Chips for smoke. Gave them a baste of Stubbs Steakhouse Marinade further into the cook. Took the internal temp to 200 deg f. Stayed plenty juicy and melted in your mouth! Good stuff and I made my coworkers jealous the next day at lunch. ;)

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:16 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't know which is more impressive, the ribs or the fact that you found some that were decently meaty... :wink:

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:45 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Send some my way!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Brad, Publix usually carries pretty meaty beef ribs. They are cheap too. Got this slab for like $7.50...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Shazbot! Where's the game? And just look at all that meat. That's more than good enough to ensure the Gamecocks' victory. Is that homemade tater salad I spy there, Dyal? :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 am
sroach well done
well done

Nice looking ribs Dyal!

I haven't done beef ribs, when you eat them do they fall about like pork ribs? does it pull apart like a pot roast would?

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:08 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thx guys! BC, that's Publix brand red skin tater salad. It's good stuff. They slice the potatoes thin instead of cubing it up. Gives it a great texture. sroach, the texture of the beef ribs should be very tender. A little more tug than pot roast, but bite through and tender nonetheless.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:08 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Nice looking ribs Dyal!

I haven't done beef ribs, when you eat them do they fall about like pork ribs? does it pull apart like a pot roast would?

Generally, there are two ways to do beef ribs... Grill them (like prime rib on a stick) ... and they will be chewy, but you can cook them rare and delicious.... OR Low 'n Slow where they WILL fall off the bone ..well-done and delicious. Never met a beef rib I didn't like. Restaurant Depot always has super-meaty ones, where they are intended to be sold as ribs as opposed to an afterthought of Delmonico steaks...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice job on the ribs Dyal :)

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:27 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Thx guys! BC, that's Publix brand red skin tater salad. It's good stuff. They slice the potatoes thin instead of cubing it up. Gives it a great texture. sroach, the texture of the beef ribs should be very tender. A little more tug than pot roast, but bite through and tender nonetheless.

I enjoy red rose potato salad. Interesting cut. I wonder what kind of salad the Yukon Golds would produce.
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:30 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:

I enjoy red rose potato salad. Interesting cut. I wonder what kind of salad the Yukon Golds would produce.

Pretty grainy, actually. Yukon Golds are a "mealy" potato rather than a "waxy" potato. Mealy potatoes are excellent for frying, mashing or for baked potatoes, but not so good for boiling so they tend to fall apart in potato salads.

I usually plant a few hills of YGs every year just for mashing and baking, and a whole bunch of other waxy-type potatoes (Pontiac, Sangre, etc.) for the potato salads. Dad and Grandpa were potato farmers for a couple of decades. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
beercuer wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:

Pretty grainy, actually. Yukon Golds are a "mealy" potato rather than a "waxy" potato. Mealy potatoes are excellent for frying, mashing or for baked potatoes, but not so good for boiling so they tend to fall apart in potato salads.

I usually plant a few hills of YGs every year just for mashing and baking, and a whole bunch of other waxy-type potatoes (Pontiac, Sangre, etc.) for the potato salads. Dad and Grandpa were potato farmers for a couple of decades. :twisted:

Thank you, CBG :D Sounds like if anyone should know about potatoes, you certainly would. I appreciate that, though feel it's too bad... I so luv the buttery richness and quality of the YG's.
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Those are some might fine looking beef ribs :D :D :D They are awfully meaty....don't know if "meaty" is a real word or not, but that was the best I could come up with! Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion