Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hawaiian Chicken Lollipops

Hawaiian Chicken Lollipops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Many moons ago, kmvet posted the concept of making an ordinary chicken leg into a "chicken lollipop"...

viewtopic.php?t=18422&highlight=pool+chicken

French cutting the chicken legs is really easy to do, and not too time consuming. Makes for a great presentation, and I think you can achieve more even cooking with this technique as well. And I've found that the marinade sinks in deeper as well.

Gave these legs a sweet rub, and also marinated them in some Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade and Pineapple Juice.

Grilled them up indirect at around 375 deg f until they were done. We weren't feeling a smoky flavor, so I just used regular ol' lump charcoal with no wood for smoke.

I wrapped the exposed bones a few minutes into the cook to prevent them from burning.

Pretty dang good. :)

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Sweeeeet! I am reminded of the old commercial "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?-- Three!... One, two,.... THREE, crunch (as in bite). It takes three licks to get to the center..." Splendid looking meal, Dyal! Thanks for sharing the secret of that. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 am
sroach well done
well done

Dyal,

I go to this indian restaurant that does those as an app, yours look better. So congratulations, my wife and I coming to your house instead...

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 am
Griffin well done
well done

Show off. :wink: Another cook bookmarked. Nicely done.

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:38 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job! That method of cooking the drumsticks would work well with a lot of recipes.

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:15 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

That chicken looks stupid good. I haven't seen that variety of Lawry's Marinade, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Post Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

I really like the looks of that :)

Greg

Return to General Discussion