Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jamaican Cow's Foot

Jamaican Cow's Foot

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:05 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I was in Jamaica about a month ago on vacation and wanted to try a little Jamaican cuisine (besides jerk chicken/pork etc...). Our driver took us to an authentic Jamaican restaurant in Ocho Rios and there were no tourists to be seen.....well, except us. :) I asked what a good, authentic Jamaican meal would be that I would probably never see at home. Cow's foot it was. Mrs. Tex and Tex Jr weren't having any of it, but I jumped right in. It was actually very good. The texture was more gelatinous than anything, but had excellent flavor. There just wasn't a lot to it. While it was very flavorful, it was more a snack than a meal. Nonetheless - if you ever get the chance....try it! What is the strangest thing you have tried out of your comfort zone? Last year I ate iguana in Honduras. I'd eat cow's foot again no problem, but the iguana was a one time deal. :lol:

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That's cool that you got to go to an authentic restaurant. Looks tasty too!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Ate horse meat carpacio in Italy and Guinea pig in Peru.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There's a local Asian restaurant up here that serves braised beef tendon - very similar to cow's foot.

But the strangest thing I've eaten? It would have to be a tossup between lizard and rattlesnake. (No pun intended.) :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I luv this post!

I tried smoked jackalope once (just kidding). Hmmm... Off hand I guess I would have to say the first time I tried kim chee. The odor was just overwhelmingly repulsive to me then, but I saw how my Dad dove right into it, and I've been a kim chee lover ever since. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 am
sroach well done
well done

Thats an awesome looking dish. And good work by you asking them for a traditional dish.. Best way to do it when you are traveling.

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 am
Griffin well done
well done

Very cool!! I went to Jamaica and stayed in Ocho Rios for my first honeymoon, but never ate that. Never saw it. Would love to go back, but thinking the second Mrs. G will probably not be on board with that. Did you get a chance to climb the falls?

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 am
tex_toby well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Very cool!! I went to Jamaica and stayed in Ocho Rios for my first honeymoon, but never ate that. Never saw it. Would love to go back, but thinking the second Mrs. G will probably not be on board with that. Did you get a chance to climb the falls?

Mrs Tex & I were married in Negril, Jamaica 9 years ago and went to the falls. We didn't get to climb the falls then because we weren't wearing the right kind of shoes. This time, we stopped in Jamaica on a cruise over spring break. We had our 7 year old son along with us and we were prepared with the right footwear. We climbed the falls and he was a trooper and did it with us. It was pretty difficult with him, but we made it. It took about an hour and a half to get to the top. When we got to the top, I asked him if he wanted to do it again and he quickly said "No!" :lol:

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 am
Griffin well done
well done

Yup, those would be the ones. Definitely something everybody should do if they go to Jamaica.

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:37 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Was it braised or stewed, Tex? I'm wondering how well it'd smoke with all the connective tissue.

Return to General Discussion