Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled "Blackened" Trout

Grilled "Blackened" Trout

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

Back in December, I got Bobby Flays "Grilling for Life" (gotta love used books and free shipping with Amazon Prime, picked it up for $4.02!) I've flipped through it a few times, but never cooked anything and then forgot I had it. Well, I dug it out yesterday determined to find something and seafood was calling my name. Didn't feel salmon. It seems to be our go-to fish and I get bored with it. Last week, I had some trout at a restaurant and that sounded good to me. He had one recipe in his book for Grilled Brook Trout with Horseradish and Tarragon Tartar Sauce. Sold! Except, all he seasoned his fish with was salt and pepper. That wasn't going to work for me. So we came up with a blackening seasoning for it. Didn't want to dredge it in melted butter, so we lightly brushed it with olive oil and then liberally seasoned it. Threw it on a grill basket on the Egg at 500F

Grilled it about 2 minutes per side. Then, tossed some shrimp on.

Plated it up with some Brussels sprouts that we got from the Farmer's Market this weekend. I had no idea I liked them. Guess everything really is better with bacon...and cooked in some bacon drippings.

This healthy eating stuff really ain't hard. I only eight half the trout (about 4 oz) and half the sprouts and was still satisfied. Got the rest for lunch today. The tartar sauce was amazing! I'll never buy store bought again. The cool, creaminess of it worked amazingly with the heat from the blackening seasoning. heavenly.

Horseradish and Tarragon Tartar Sauce
(serves 4)

•1/3 cup light mayonnaise
•1 tsp grated lemon zest
•1 to 3 tbsp of prepared horseradish, I’ll let you decide how spicy you want it
•2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
•2 tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped
•3 dashes of hot sauce (I prefer Frank’s, but feel free to sub in your own brand and adjust if you want more)
•2 tbsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
•1/4 tsp salt
•1/4 tsp pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (2 hours would be better if you have the time)

Blackening Seasoning
•1 tbsp paprika
•2 tsp dry mustard
•1 tsp cayenne pepper
•1 tsp cumin
•1 tsp black pepper
•1 tsp white pepper
•1 tsp dried thyme
•1 tsp salt
Mix together ingredients in a small bowl. If not using immediately, store in an airtight container.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That is one excellent plate! You did a really nice job with the trout.

Jarred tartar sauces all seem to sweet to me. I like that yours contains no sugar and if you wanted to go all out you could even start with homemade mayo.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That is a magnificent looking cookout, Griff! I could so get into that. And I so appreciate you posting the recipe for the tartar sauce. I look to try that one for myself. I luv tarragon with fish. I'm also a big fan of Brussels sprouts. And I bet those are gulf, not imported shrimp, yes? Did you squeeze any lemon over your meal? :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:16 pm
sroach well done
well done

+1 on the sprouts, what do you have in them.

Grif,

Did the fish separate from the skin as you were eating it, I most shy away from trout because of that.

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

WOW!!! I've been craving seafood a lot lately. Makes me wanna go fishing!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Very nice!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

Just an FYI on the tartar sauce, don't make it too far ahead of time. When I took some leftovers for lunch the next day, the red onions sorta made the sauce turn a bit pink where it touched them.

beercuerThose were Gulf shrimp. Totally forgot to squeeze lemon over the meal, but it didn't really need it.

sroach the skin did seperate easily from the fish, which was a good thing as I kinda burnt it just a hair. Usually I eat the skin, not this time.

Dyal I've never done much fishing. I've drank a lot of beer, so I guess I got half the fishing part down, right?

Toby Thank you, Sir!

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:30 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You lucky dawg, Griff!-- It isn't so easy to get Gulf shrimp here where I'm at, mostly that risky stuff from Asia. Incidentally, I am not pleased at all by the way your Spurs are treating my Lakers. Looks like I might have to come back at you with the Clippers. :wink:

BTW, thanks for the FYI :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 am
Griffin well done
well done

:lol: Go Spurs Go!!

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:41 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
:lol: Go Spurs Go!!

Now you done it... Looks like I'm gonna have to send in the Clippers. Be afraid, Griff. Be very afraid. :twisted: :wink:
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion