Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Our Weekend Cooks (lots of pics)

Our Weekend Cooks (lots of pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 am
Griffin well done
well done

Started off Friday night with some wings and some home made jalapeno cheese venison sausage.

Didn't manage to get a shot after they came off the Egg and got tossed with some Buffalo Sauce. Nothing fancy, just your average Frank's hot sauce, butter, sriracha and some spices.

Saturday, we went to a friends house for his kids b-day party. There were some burgers and dogs grilled on a gas grill. Didn't try them, glad I had a big breakfast. Afterwards, we swung by the Dallas Farmer's Market. By this time it was around 4, so I wasn't really surprised to see this sign at Pecan Lodge (which is one of the top BBQ places in Dallas.

That's ok. I got what I really came for. A 100% grass fed, locally raised brisket (full packer brisket weighing in at 5.46lbs). Also got some ground beef. I asked the guy for bacon, but he was trying to sell me some "cottage bacon" which apparently comes from the shoulder. I said no, thanks, I'll just take the regular. Got home and realized he gave me the cottage stuff anyway. It was ok, but not bacon. Also picked up some green onions, avocados, brussel sprouts, plums and probably some other stuff I forgot. Can't wait to smoke that brisket next weekend.

Sunday, we did a ton of yard work. Got the hammock out to enjoy the weather. Bodi wasn't real sure about it.

Well, if he doesn't want to take advantage of it, I'll rest up a bit before dinner.

Dinner was some skirt steak. Fired up the Egg and then used the BGE grate extender to drop it really close to the coals. In this picture you can see how its below the top of the fire ring. The steak was marinated in some Lone Star beer, soy sauce, some whatsthishere sauce and spices.

Almost done, just a few minutes per side.

"Hey! Did you make enough for me?" Ollie asked.

Not the best fiinished pic, but topped with some provolone cheese and sauteed mushrooms and onions. Not tortillas as we're still not doing carbs. Some asparagus that we grilled on the side while they steak was resting and a salad.

Pretty nice weekend all in all. The weather was perfect. They seem to fly by too fast lately.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 am
sroach well done
well done

That looks like a great weekend..!! I want to come back in my second life as ollie..I know he got a good chunk of that brisket.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am
Griffin well done
well done

You do not want to come back as Ollie, unless you want problems with your pancreas not producting the right enzymes, special diet and medicine the rest of your life. He rarely gets treats as it really upsets his tummy causing explosive results. But when we cook the brisket next weekend, he'll probably get a small bite or two. Poor guy.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:27 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great way to spend a weekend...you shoulda snuck a piece of that sausage onto the gasser with the burgers and dogs! That brisket looks like it's going to be nice, and are you going to grill the plums?

Sorry to hear about Ollie but it sounds like he's getting good care.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:09 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Looks like you enjoyed a life of Riley weekend there, Griff, with your hammock even! Great lookin' cookouts, too! Ollie looks so endearing. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:07 pm
Griffin well done
well done

SC - then I would have had to share the sausage. I'll just be selfish and keep it at home all for myself. Wasn't planning on grilling the plums, I've just been eating a bunch more fruit. Got a recipe you want to share? As for Ollie, he's had this issue for years. He dropped 10lbs in one month, that's how we found out and he wasn't that big to start out with. It took a year to get that 10lbs back. But he's happy as can be and still acting like a puppy even at his age, running around the yard and playing fetch. He might be just a bit spoiled. :wink:

Thanks, beercuer. He's never met a person he didn't like. So much for being a guard dog. :roll:

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't have a recipe personally, but I could swear that there's an episode of either BBQ U or Primal Grill where Steven puts some plums on the grill.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I don't have a recipe personally, but I could swear that there's an episode of either BBQ U or Primal Grill where Steven puts some plums on the grill.

It was Primal Grill. I think it was an episode in Season 2.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Outstanding cooks! I did a lot of lounging around myself over the weekend. It was great weather.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion