Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First spares of 2013

First spares of 2013

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This was one of those "oops" moments that fortunately didn't end badly. A couple of Saturdays ago I bought a package of spareribs and put them in the fridge, only to forget about them until my wife mentioned last Thursday that there was a bag of something at the back of one of the shelves. :oops:

That night I opened them and they smelled and felt OK, so I mixed up a quick basic rub and put them back in the fridge until Saturday.

I had to peel the membrane but the trimming was already done, so those pieces were the first off the smoker after a few hours. I used Stubb's hardwood briquettes and a couple of big pieces of windfall hickory (unsoaked) from the tree in the yard.

The tips and trimmings are just as good as the ribs, but I had plans for them and had to limit myself to just a few pieces.

I didn't to any basting or foiling, and after 5 hours or so the meat had pulled back enough for my liking.

The amount of color surprised me but I guess it was the result of the smoke and the day-and-a-half cure time with the rub. At least they didn't taste hammy.

The trimmings wound up in a saucepan of canned baked beans, and really added some good flavor. Fortunately I intercepted my 18-year-old later that evening and was able to keep all the leftovers from being eaten. :lol:

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

"Get in my belly!," as Fat Bastard from Austin Powers fame would exclaim. Dem dar ribs look most invitingly fantastic, Brad! What a contrast of color from the surface to the interior. How did you achieve that effect?
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:37 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Great job on the ribs and good save from your 18 year old. :o

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ya - very nice reebs, Brad!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm
sroach well done
well done

Very nice set for the first of the year.. and like SG said, nice save!

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 am
Griffin well done
well done

Good lookin' reebs!! I haven't done reebs this year. Need to get on them.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
What a contrast of color from the surface to the interior. How did you achieve that effect?
That's usually how the surface looks for most of my ribs, so I attribute that to the hardwood briquettes and a fairly generous amount of wood for smoke. But as for the red color...that really caught me by surprise. I've noticed that lately I seem to be getting better smoke rings when I don't soak the smoke wood, and in this case I wonder if enough salt caught into the meat to have an effect as well. Actually, my first thought was that I got ahold of some enhanced ribs but the store's default pork is the natural version from Farmland so I don't have reason to believe this was the case.

I also put some chicken kielbasa on the smoker for the 1st 2 hours. It was the same brand (Gerber's) as the chicken Italian sausage I grilled a few weeks back, and it was actually pretty good with the extra smoke flavor.
Image Image

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I'm thinking you must be right about the heavier smoke, Brad. I can appreciate that if you used TenderQuick or sodium nitrite that would introduce red, but I don't know about salt. I am also aware that some meat suppliers will infuse carbon monoxide on meat to make it appear bright red. Perhaps the extra smoke corresponds to higher CO levels. Whatever, the results are stunning. Keilbasa looks delicious, too, and those buns even look quite deluxe. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Yum! Those look awesome. Hard to beat smoked ribs.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

It's been waaaay to long since I last cooked ribs. Now I've got a hankerin' :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Return to General Discussion