Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Tax day chuck steaks

Tax day chuck steaks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Because who can afford prime rib on April 15, right? :lol:

Last Monday morning I put some Weber Seasoning Salt on a couple of chuck steaks so that they'd be ready for dinner that night.

A few minutes on each side is all it took.

Asparagus was on sale at the store so I bought a bundle and seasoned it with olive oil, salt, and pepper before grilling it on a grill sheet. We like our asparagus on the well-done side, with crispy tips and soft stalks.
Image Image

With chuck steak there's always some effort involved in slicing because of the fat and connective tissue, but the end result's worth a little extra work.

The Weber Seasoning Salt is OK but to be honest I think I prefer the flavor of Lawry's, although it's possible that after a few more uses maybe the Weber will grow on me.

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Now those are the kind of grill marks I wish I could get! Niiiice work, Brad. I'm with you on the most excellent flavor of chuck steaks. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice chuck steaks, Brad! In some stores up here they're called "blade chuck steaks" for some reason, and they can be a challenge to grill as they can be tough.

Beercuer - a big factor in grill marks is the grates themselves. Well-oiled cast iron grates are a big plus, but the secret is to get them screaming hot for good grill marks (high heat vs. medium).

Here's something else to consider: the Chargriller grates are triangular in cross-section so they have a thick side and a thinner side. The thick side makes bigger grill marks. I've noticed that a lot of gassers and other grills are doing the same thing now. My MasterChef gasser is a good example of this, so when I want thicker grill marks (and when I'm cooking on medium heat) I often flip over the grates.

The reason I mention this is because I don't recall if the BGE has triagular grates like this. If it does, you may be able to flip the grate to the thicker side as well and it may make a difference.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion