Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion It's Friday!! (Another Chicken)...pix

It's Friday!! (Another Chicken)...pix

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thank Goodness It's Friday!!! This is how I started off my weekend last Friday night... Gonna do something similar tonight.

This chicken was injected with a 50/50 mixture of Dale's Seasoning and Apple Cider Vinegar. I used some Charles Vergo's Rendezvous Rub on the outside, and smoke roasted it on my green ceramic smoker with some Applewood. Cooked it raised direct at around 375 deg f and spritz it with Apple Cider Vinegar every so often.

It was very, very good...will definitely be using this simple injection for future cooks. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I've never injected a bird before is it better then a brine, looks good.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Old Smoker wrote:

Thx, Old Smoker! I guess I'd have to say that a brine makes it more juicy, but the injection makes it more flavorful. If you did them both, I bet it would be awesome!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Old Smoker well done
well done

One may cancel out the other also unless the brine and injection was similar, chicken is rapidly becoming my meat of choice when I fire up the smoker. Maybe Saturday, it look like a storm coming today.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I see Mrs. Dyal left her beer on the table. :twisted:

That's some really nice color on the chicken. I'm not familiar with Dale's; did much of it dissolve in the vinegar or was it mostly in suspension?

Old Smoker well done
well done

Dales has only been on the shelf for a couple of years here as well, my brother turned me on to it when he was doing some steaks a few years ago, I liked it but that's about all I can remember. He did say never put it on a hamburger and let it sit or it'll eat the burger :shock:

Dyal_SC well done
well done

SC, Justin Timberlake must have left that there. :lol: (BL platinum commercial for those of you who are confused)

The Dales and the vinegar seemed to mix well together. I did swirl it around though in case it separated. I like using the Reduced Sodium Dales. You can find it on the ketchup/condiment isle. It's a liquid that resembles Worcestershire sauce. Good on a lot of stuff, especially burgers.

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

TGIF-- Amen! I'm with Brad, Dyal... awesome coloring! That birdie is so purdy I just wolf whistled!
Got beer???

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Old Smoker wrote:

Thx, Old Smoker! I guess I'd have to say that a brine makes it more juicy, but the injection makes it more flavorful. If you did them both, I bet it would be awesome!

Very nice bird, Dyal!

Brines vs. injections are a bit confusing, though. From what I've read, brines are usually salt and water, often with added seasonings, and you usually soak the meat in it. Injections are often salt and water and added seasonings as well, but they sometimes contain melted butter or oil or something like that and they are injected right into the meat. From what I've read, injections are also a bit more concentrated.

So is an injection basically a more-enhanced or concentrated version of a brine? I haven't done many birds like that because I think I bought a cheap injector because it broke after a few uses.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:29 pm
sroach well done
well done

Very nice looking bird..

You don't tuck the legs in through a flap of skin in the thigh huh?

2beast medium-well
medium-well

Dyal_SC wrote:

Oh baby that's what I like! 8)

Greg

smokin'gal well done
well done

That is one gorgeous yard bird specimen. Nice job.

Return to General Discussion