Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Two New Additions

Two New Additions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

After I ended up replacing my old smoking unit (My trusty Weber Performer) with a year long wood fired grill project, I needed a new rig. So I looked around and did some homework, finally settling on the 22.5 WSM. She's beautiful and can't wait to get her in service.

So I put her together last weekend and last night, used it for the first time. Actually I only used it as a vessel for the AMNPS I also bought recently to smoke two large bricks of Mozzarella...

If you haven't checked this thing out (the AMNPS) I'll say it's a great tool to have around. An inexpensive cold smoking solution that actually works. And works well. You can see the details here if you want: http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDe ... e=AMNPS5X8. About the best 40 bucks I've ever spent. Just light the thing, put it in the bottom of the WSM and let it go. It generates low heat smoke so you can do cheese, salt, peanuts or just about anything else you want. It uses a fuse burn pattern that gives you about 7 hours or so when loaded. This morning I took the cheese out and it was a beautiful golden color. I vacuum packed it and put it in the fridge. Looking forward to lot's more with this tool.

And I can't wait to get the WSM going. This should be an exciting summer.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Congrats on the new additions!! :) Looks like lots of good times in your near future! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I've always been curious about that cold smoker, I love smoked cheese. Enjoy the new toy, it's a good cooker and like most new cookers requires a little getting use to, maybe not the most fuel efficient cooker on the market but definitely will do the job easier than a lot of other cookers and it does hold a bunch of grub.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice rig, scorched_porch! The WSM 22.5 is an excellent smoker and it has received a lot of good reviews on this board. (Plus, it's a bigger version of an old favorite.) :D

That AMNPS (A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER) is very similar to another cold smoke generator - the Pro-Q CSG:
http://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smokers/product/proq-cold-smoke-generator
There's a comparison of the Pro-Q to the AMNPS in this thread:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19952

Looking at the AMNPS, it seems to be of equal quality to the other units. The burn pattern is different and those little triangular ridges look like they'd improve the air flow - meaning less burn time but more smoke. If it does the job, then that's the main thing.

EDIT: Chrish uses one of these units as well - there are some action shots in this thread:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24166

I've been thinking of getting one of these types of units for my original vertical smoker (even though it's an ECB), as my current cold smoke unit is cobbled together out of mesh and tin cans.

Any pics of the cheese? :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I wish my WSM had bowl vents that were all nice and new like that! :lol:

The $40 cold smoker has my interest...to be honest, it's not something I've ever really thought much about doing but it would be fun to try.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:23 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks on your new smoker. That is one I've never got the chance to play around with, but would like to someday.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I wish my WSM had bowl vents that were all nice and new like that! :lol: .

All you have to do is buy a new one and NEVER USE IT

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:24 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I wish my WSM had bowl vents that were all nice and new like that! :lol:

The $40 cold smoker has my interest...to be honest, it's not something I've ever really thought much about doing but it would be fun to try.

+1 to Old Smoker's comment.

Cold-smoking is fun to try even if all you have is a couple of tin cans and some stell window screen. :twisted:
I have to guess it would be a lot more fun with an actual unit designed for the purpose. Much less messy.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:03 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I can only imagine how excited you must be, Scorch. Looks like a whole lot of fun!
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:36 pm
well done
well done

I'll post some of the cheese pic's tonight - I was in a hurry this morning so I didn't get a chance. Can't wait to fire up the WSM for the first "Real" cook.

However - I do have a simple question with respect to this thing. It has two 22.5" racks in it. If I fill both up with... say RIBS for example - how does one tend to the bottom rack (IE Mop or sauce it)? Do I have to take the top rack out? I imagine that's the only way...
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I've only used the bottom rack once and that was with whole chickens and haven't mopped or spritzed since I got mine. but there are mods where you can tether the two racks together and pull them both at the same time or you can use 3 empty cans on the top grate to support the second grate so you can work around with out taking anything off. that is one of the only draw backs with the WSM 2 rack set-up. They say the lower grate actually cooks a little cooler with water in the pan but I've never checked the temps and I don't think they took saucing into consideration when they designed it. Now this isn't the best promotion for the WSM but I've also read that you just have to be fast when pulling the food off so you can get the lid back on, mop or sauce and put it all back on, not exactly effortless cooking.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 pm
sroach well done
well done

Scorch,

Awesome unit, you will love how nice it cooks!

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:18 am
well done
well done

Thanks, I'm darned excited. BTW Here's the cheese.

36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:37 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

My goodness, Scorched... that cheese looks beautiful and inspiring! Sure wish I had me some of that right now with a glass of some fine Chianti. :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The cheese turned out really nice, SP!

Return to General Discussion