Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First mac & cheese

First mac & cheese

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Recently we received an ad for Biltmore Wine and on it was a recipe for macaroni & cheese made with smoked gouda. It was supposed to go in the oven but I decided it would be interesting to try on the grill.

Unfortunately the store didn't have any smoked gouda so I improvised with some smoked cheddar and smoked muenster.

After putting the cooked pasta in a buttered iron skillet I added some thinly sliced mushrooms.

The melted cheeses were poured on and a topping of panko crumbs and shaved parmesan was added. It looked really dry so I added a drizzle of olive oil.

It's supposed to take 10-15 minutes in the oven but I kept it on the grill for close to 30, with a small bit of oak added for a little extra smoke.

The flavor was really good but I would've liked the cheese to be a bit creamier - I think this was due to the cheddar. It did take a little time to put everything together but overall was an easy recipe to make, and I'll be doing some more mac & cheese in the future.

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I would most gladly help you eat that mac 'n cheese, Brad. Luv that idea of including mushrooms, and of course you have already sold me on the virtues of Monster cheese. I relate to what you write about the trickiness of such recipe. I've learned to step up the amount of cheese that goes into the sauce. I caught hold of a recipe from Chef Rick Bayless that incorporates salsa, of all things into the mix. Me like.
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Mmm...smoky Mac n cheese is the best! Looks phenomenal, SC!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Oh man that looks amazing! Need to make my m&c on the Egg for some additional flavor :)

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

That looks quite tasty. Nice job.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:37 pm
Fired medium-rare
medium-rare

I have always found that baking the mac & cheese takes away its creaminess and dries everything out. Lately I just make a cheese sauce, pour over the mac and serve.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It probably didn't help that I cooked it longer than the recipe called for, and that a grill is one of the drier forms of baking (moisture lost out the top vent). That's a good point, Fired...I wonder if it would've helped to have a runnier sauce.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I love mac and cheese, well almost anything that has cheese, but I think using more as well as a thinner sauce may help, I've never done any mac & cheese on the grill, I catch enough flak for the things I cook as it is. :lol:
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Return to General Discussion