Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Méchoui of Lamb with Berber Spices

Méchoui of Lamb with Berber Spices

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I don't know if y'all have ever noticed this or not, but I am a huge fan of Steven Raichlen. ;) I have made many of his recipes, and each and every one have been killer. :) This particular recipe did not fail me either. You can find the recipe in Planet Barbecue if you are interested.

A big thanks to jfm0830 for pointing me toward this recipe.

The bone in leg of lamb is first studded with all sorts of goodness before its placed on the grill.

Then after a little while of cooking, you start basting it with the Charmoula Sauce until its done.

Served up with some Greek Potatoes. Amazingly good. Probably the best thing I've ever made.

If y'all don't have a copy of Planet Barbecue already, I highly encourage you to buy a copy. You won't regret it.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Must purchase Planet Barbecue..... :shock: :)

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:09 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Goodbye mint jelly! The coloring on that is out of this world, Dyal! And that is quite a testimony if you regard that as about the best thing you've made.
Got beer???

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks amazing, Dyal. What kind of temp were you running and about how long did it take? I need to look up that recipe when I get home. heck....I need to look into that book more. I've only done a few things out of it, but there are a ton that are dog eared for future cooks. Need to get on it.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks interesting! I grilled lamb for the first time last fall and we liked it, but I'm still hesitant about the larger cuts. How big was the leg?

Agreed on Planet Barbecue. It's more like The Barbecue! Bible as it encompasses styles and recipes from all over the world, and provides a nice counterbalance to the other, more USA-centric books I have.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thx, y'all!

Griffen, I grilled it around 350 deg f, indirect using oak chips for smoke. I can't remember how long it took, but I brought the internal temp to about 190 deg. Steven indicates that Moroccans prefer their lamb well done, so I wanted to keep it authentic. You definitely need to crack Planet Barbecue open again. Maybe one day I'll get to meet him in person and shake his hand. :)

ScreamingChicken, it was 5.44 lbs. I agree...I love Barbecue Bible, as well as all his other books.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion