Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Venison Jalapeno Cheese Sausage

Venison Jalapeno Cheese Sausage

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:25 am
Griffin well done
well done

Finally got around to breaking in my sausage stuffer I got for Christmas. Its the 5lb LEM one. Works so much better than using the grinder as a stuffer.

Mrs. G wanted jalapeno cheese sausage and who am I to argue? Started with 2.31 lbs of venison, 2.49 lbs of pork shoulder and .62 lbs of back fat.

No pictures of it being ground or stuffed. Kinda messy and didn't want to stop and wash my hands.Started it at 12 pm at 145 (higher than I wanted)

Three hours in

Done in 4.5 hours

Ice bath to stop the cooking

Grilled up a link Sunday to try

Mrs. G loved it. Said it was our best one yet. I was pleased with it, but think I will tweak a few things next time. Plenty juicy, good snap to the casing and nice flavor, but not enough heat. Also gonna try high temp cheese next time. Other wise, I'd call it a success and we have 4 more pounds of it in the freezer. :)

Venison Jalapeno Cheese Sausage

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That looks great! Nice color, juices on the cutting board...yes, please! I bet it'd be great in an omelet...

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:48 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Beautiful :!:

Nice and moist..............I hate dried up overcooked sausage 8)

Greg

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:51 pm
MN_BBQer medium
medium

Oh hell yeah!!!

whats the purpose of cooking the sausage at 145 for three hours?
How much cheese did you use?
Have you ever added hot peppers before?
What part of the pork did you use?

I'm new to sausage making, still a rookie with my grinder, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Denny
Let's have a few and talk BBQ!
CG PRO SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 am
Griffin well done
well done

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. Don't visit this site as often as I used to.

MM_BBqer - this was a cured sausage, not a fresh one. There is a difference and it comes down to how it is prepared and then cooked. Cured sausages have a cure in them that helps preserve them and are pre-cooked. This one had Cure #1 in it. Its also what makes pork (and other sausages) have that red tint to them. Where as a fresh pork sausage is going to be more of a light brown like this one

I will say I am no expert at sausage, but I do know enough to know that it isn't something to play around with. It can be deadly (botulism) if you don't know what you are doing. I suggest picking up a book or two on sausage making and reading through it and following the directions. That's what I am doing. Once you get the basics, you can start tweaking ingredients to match your taste profile.

As for cheese, this batch was about 4.5 lbs of meat (72 oz) and I used .43lbs (6.8 oz) of cheese. When making sausage, I suggest getting a scale to measure out ingredients.

I've got an excel spreadsheet for sausage that I can send you if you are interested. Just enter how many lbs of sausage you want, and it will calculate out the amounts of ingredients for you. Just let me know.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That is one might impressive masterpiece of a sausage, Griffin! And with venison yet-- Oh la la!
Got beer???

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 am
Griffin well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
That is one might impressive masterpiece of a sausage, Griffin! And with venison yet-- Oh la la!

Shot, dressed and processed by yours truely. I shot my very first deer the day after Thanksgiving last year. My brother in law handed me his knife and said "Time to get dirty" He told me what to do, but left it all up to me. There's something to be said about knowing you did all the work yourself and that the only human hands to ever touch that meat was yours (and the wife cuz she helped with the sausage). Pride. :D

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:32 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Man, I believe that would be a cause to feel proud, especially on your first attempt. I still struggle with just trying to fillet a salmon roast, so I most usually cut them into steaks instead. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:03 pm
MN_BBQer medium
medium

Thanks for the reply Griffin!

I actually got a book on sausage making called: The Sausage Cookbook Bible..

It has great recipes and very instructive how to's.. I've only made fresh sausages so far, they turned out fine. What I really need is a stuffer, since I have too use my grinder for stuffing which doesn't work that great...

If you have that info handy, I would greatly appreciate looking at it..

Take Care,
Denny
Let's have a few and talk BBQ!
CG PRO SFB

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

I used my grinder as a stuffer for a year. While it works, its a PITA and is a two person job for sure. Recently got a LEM 5 lb stuffer. Its amazing. I'm not sure why I waited to get one. It turns it into a one man job. My recommendation is to look at how much sausage you plan to make at a time, though, and get a stuffer that will meet that. Its not that big a deal to reload the 5lber, but it would save you some time and effort if you got a larger one.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
I used my grinder as a stuffer for a year. While it works, its a PITA and is a two person job for sure. Recently got a LEM 5 lb stuffer. Its amazing. I'm not sure why I waited to get one. It turns it into a one man job. My recommendation is to look at how much sausage you plan to make at a time, though, and get a stuffer that will meet that. Its not that big a deal to reload the 5lber, but it would save you some time and effort if you got a larger one.

Do you have more info on that LEM stuffer? I was considering getting one of those grinder/stuffer attachments for a KitchenAid mixer or similar but now I'm having second thoughts.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:59 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Its the LEM 5lb stuffer. It can be found at Academy for about $150 right now. Seems like about all 5lb vertical stuffers are going to run around that ballpark. Looks for one that has metal gears, not plastic. Like I said, it makes it a one man job. Using my old grinder as a stuffer, you would have to have one person stuffing it down the chute and one person working with the casings. With this stuffer, I was able to do some of it by myself before my wife offered to help. Not that it was needed. I've heard bad things about the KA attachment, but I've never used it.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4552/sausage-stuffers

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
Its the LEM 5lb stuffer. It can be found at Academy for about $150 right now. Seems like about all 5lb vertical stuffers are going to run around that ballpark. Looks for one that has metal gears, not plastic. Like I said, it makes it a one man job. Using my old grinder as a stuffer, you would have to have one person stuffing it down the chute and one person working with the casings. With this stuffer, I was able to do some of it by myself before my wife offered to help. Not that it was needed. I've heard bad things about the KA attachment, but I've never used it.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4552/sausage-stuffers

+1 about the plastic gears, for sure. Wow - that thing is huge - no wonder it does such a good job!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion