Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings

Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks to LTAFlynEgg post about wings last week on the another forum, I knew I had to try my hand at making Garlic Parmesan Wings. I tried making these one time before, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use parmesan cheese from the green can or shred my own parmesan cheese. I went with the later and it didn't turn out so well. This time I went with the green can (Parmesan & Romano cheese to be exact) Much better this time.

Since I was dining alone, the MINI got put into action, indirect at 400F, no wood for smoke.

They were done in about 30 minutes

Tossed in the sauce and then "Basketed Up"

Big thanks to LTA for the inspiration and also Dyal_SC who was kind enough to answer my text about how much baking powder to add to help crisp up the wings. I think it really does help and I'm glad that I didn't have to get out a shovel and dig through all the wing posts on the forums to find that nugget of knowledge. This batch was a million more times successful than the last time I tried them. Garlicky and Parmesany crispy wonderfullness. I'd skip the Ranch or Bleu Cheese for these ones, though. All I used it for was the celery. ;)

Ingredients
(For 16 whole wings or 32 flats and drummetes. Obviously I didn't make that many)

For the rub:

•1 tsp dried oregano
•1 tsp dried rosemary
•1 tsp kosher salt
•1/2 tsp cumin
•1/2 tsp thyme
•1/2 tsp baking powder (this won’t add flavor, but will help you achieve crispy skin on the wings)
For the sauce:

•1/2 cup butter
•1 tsp lemon juice
•1/4 cup grate Parmesan & Romano Cheese (in the green can)
•1 tsp onion powder
•1 tsp garlic powder
•couple of turns of the pepper grinder
•salt to taste

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:21 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I second the baking powder trick. I need to make some wings soon. My youngest is the only one who likes them because he's primal like me and likes to eat off of bones :)

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks great Grisham! I made these last week thanks to your recipe. Big hit with my wife too. Great post!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

The wings look delicious.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Brilliant recipe, but even more scrumptious looking! Makes me want to chomp down a heaping plateful in front of a football game right now!
Got beer???

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 am
Griffin well done
well done

Why oh why did you have to bring up football, beercuer? Its so far away. :cry: A co-worker of mine has a brother that played for Baylor up until he got injured last year. Anyway, the other weekend he made the 100 mile drive down and watched the spring scrimmage. Looks like Baylor might have a defense this year. And the new quarterback ain't to shabby. We might have a good year...especially with Texas and OU not looking so good. :D

Dying_2BeATexan - I took some wings out of the freezer to thaw out for tomorrow night. Might do these again, might look for a new recipe...

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those are some good-looking wings, Griffin! What happened with the "real" parmesan that makes the green can product work better?

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am
Griffin well done
well done

Brad - the time before I used some pre-shredded parmesan cheese that was in a tub, not grated from the green can, and it didn't melt into sauce. It just wasnn't good. I think I want to try it again and use a micro-plane to grate fresh parm and see what happens. I know that when I use a micro-place to grate parm on pizza and pasta it melts. I think that might be the optimum way to go.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Why oh why did you have to bring up football, beercuer? Its so far away. :cry: A co-worker of mine has a brother that played for Baylor up until he got injured last year. Anyway, the other weekend he made the 100 mile drive down and watched the spring scrimmage. Looks like Baylor might have a defense this year. And the new quarterback ain't to shabby. We might have a good year...especially with Texas and OU not looking so good. :D

Dying_2BeATexan - I took some wings out of the freezer to thaw out for tomorrow night. Might do these again, might look for a new recipe...

Glad to hear the new prospects look good. I'm sufferin' too. I no longer get over the air broadcast of Lakers or Clippers (gone to pay cable).
Got beer???

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 am
Griffin well done
well done

What? They don't play on regular cable there? That's bs. Sorry to hear about Kobe and Nash, but Go Spurs Go!! Recently, I got the chance to go down to San Antonio and had court side seats for the Spurs Mavs game. It was incredible. You know those guys are big, but seeing them that close...it puts a whole new perspective on it. :shock:

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:25 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
What? They don't play on regular cable there? That's bs. Sorry to hear about Kobe and Nash, but Go Spurs Go!! Recently, I got the chance to go down to San Antonio and had court side seats for the Spurs Mavs game. It was incredible. You know those guys are big, but seeing them that close...it puts a whole new perspective on it. :shock:

Nope, no tele anymore and it hurts. A further burn is I cannot even get an NBA League Pass to watch on the web because of some blackout restrictions. All I can claim is that I have two teams for which I can root-- Lakers and Clips.
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion