Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Behemoth BLT Sammich

Behemoth BLT Sammich

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I call this one my "Behemoth BLT." It is a classic bacon-lettuce-tomato, but like on steroids. You'll see as we build this thing. I must say from the getgo it was the most delicious and enjoyable sammich I have ever made. Here is a shot of the ingredients (minus the grilled chicken). Those are extra grande sized tortillas by the way.

Let's head out to the pit now and get the chicken goin'. You can see that I added a hunk of lump to give the bird a subtle but distinct mesquite nuance.

ImageImage

A better examination of the grilled bird...

And now pulled, ready for use in the sammich...

Now we need the bacon. (Mmmmm... bacon!) And a whole pound of it. I hot smoked it via side firebox with hickory for the smoke. Oh hold me back!

Plated...

Now it is time to create. Notice I overlayed two of those extra grande sized tortillas (only for with which to begin!). So, on goes the bacon, on goes the pulled chicken.

What say you we top that with a little shredded Romaine lettuce and Crema Mexicana (sour cream)?

And how about some sliced cherry tomatoes and black olives?

There. No, not quite... what about some alfalfa sprouts (mostly got buried), guacamole, queso fresco cheese, and crumbled chicharrones? I agree. Let's get 'em on there!

Oh dear..., you can see from the above pic I let it get away from me. No way I was gonna wrap this monster with a mere two huge tortillas. So I underlaid yet two more to form a + sign confiuration. Only then could I contain all the ingredients. And so here we go friends, one behemoth BLT sammich with a side order of chile limon chicharrones. Wish I could upload it right to your dinner plate (assuming the plate was big enough!).

Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 am
tbk420 well done
well done

That looks incredible!

How about a side of defibrillator? :wink:

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am
sroach well done
well done

That is a Behemoth.. Nice look sammy!

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Most impressive! What was the inspiration behind this? You should pitch the concept to a food truck or local sandwich shop!

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks Guys!

tbk420 wrote:
That looks incredible!

Yes, Tbk, you're not kidding. Fortunately, this kind of thing is a rather rare indulgence for me. I'll have to feed off memories of it now for awhile. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:51 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Most impressive! What was the inspiration behind this? You should pitch the concept to a food truck or local sandwich shop!

The inspiration sprang from a challenge issued to me to Q up a BIG Sammich. I've always been a fan of classic BLT's. Then because of all the other Mexican ingredients I had for the other meal, I thought I could make use of them here as well. I luv the way the tortillas made it user friendly to eat. :lol: That would be great to get, say, McD's to take it on! I imagine the food police would be on them like stink on you know what.
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm
d_holck well done
well done

Glorious.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

d_holck wrote:
Glorious.

Thanks, Doug!
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 am
chrish well done
well done

i don't see any Tofu in those ingredients :D
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

chrish wrote:
i don't see any Tofu in those ingredients :D

Shiver me timbers! Not even in my kitchen sink.
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Thanks Guys!

tbk420 wrote:
That looks incredible!

Yes, Tbk, you're not kidding. Fortunately, this kind of thing is a rather rare indulgence for me. I'll have to feed off memories of it now for awhile. :D

So what did everyone else get to eat? :twisted:

Nice looking sammich. The tortillas were a good idea, as I think the average submarine bun or French loaf wouldn't stand up to the filling.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

No one else, other than dog and bird. I packed it down in two sittings. The tortillas did make it rather user friendly.
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:05 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

That is quite a meal!

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

I wish you could upload that wrap to my dinner plate. That is one heck of a BLT. You said crema mexicana and then sour cream in paranthesis. I was confused at first, thinking you thought they were the same thing. But then I went back and looked at your picture of ingredients and it was crema. Two totally different animals, similar, but different. I applaud your use of crema and queso fresco! Bravo!

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

WOW!!! I am starving now! What brand of guac is that? Do you have any good guac recipes, being that you are from the southwest?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Next

Return to General Discussion