Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Remembering back... Steven

Remembering back... Steven

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:18 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Here are a few things to keep in mind as well - and from a member who has been here for about ten years:

1) Steven has been posting a bit more in the past 2 1/2 years than previously, if that's any consolation. Keep in mind that for a fair bit of time he was also touring the planet picking up recipes for Planet Barbecue, starting up Primal Grill, and so on so he's busy.

2) The board is always quiet from the week after Thanksgiving to mid-April every year without exception. It's a seasonal board, for the most part and it always picks up in the spring. This year will likely be the same.

3) This board goes through phases all the time. First it was competition BBQ, then WSMs, then CharGrillers, then Kingsford issues, then Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS) and a lot of others. Now it's BGE-mania and "Click here to see the full post on my blog". That last one is a bit troubling as it draws members away from the board. A lot of those other sites won't even allow members to post URLs inb their signatures, let alone post blog links.

The point here is that trends and members come and go but the board is still here. Even with the Egg-heavy blog posts, we still get a fair bit more variety in grilling season.

Oh - and check out Steven's show Primal Grill - he's used everything from Weber Summit and kettle grills to BGEs, hibachis, UDS rigs and offset smokers - and this board reflects that. Steven was on the BGE bandwagon before there was one.

4) A bit more about BGEs: yes, it's a good unit but we've got owners of CharGriller, Weber, Broil King, Napoleon, and scads of other grills here, including CharGriller and other kamado-style cooker users. And yes, I've sensed a bit of "BGE snobbery" in some posts - sorry - but it's there sometimes!

I have to admit, though, that I sometimes just skim these posts without replying too. :oops:

Old Smoker - The only way I can see around that is for the other non-BGE members to post more. Once again, I think things will change in spring. Heck - maybe some other newfangled grill will become all the rage and then we'll have a whole bunch of new posts about it instead. :twisted:

For that matter, my BioLite camping stove has a grill attachment. Maybe that might get popular this year. :D
http://www.biolitestove.com/

5) Just a little note: the number of posts any member has doesn't reflect the amount of time any member has spent on the board. We have loyal members who've been here for 10 years who haven't posted regularly or often. They're just as welcome as anyone else and certainly aren't part of any "lurker problem".

6) As for a general "shoot the breeze" section, I don't recommend it. I've seen similar sections on other BBQ sites and they've either degenerated into off-color jokes and political rants, or interest in them just disappears once the novelty wears off. PMs work just as well.

And this being the Barbecue Bible site, I don't know if a non-grill section would fly at all. However, I've seen a ton of non-grill-related posts on this board (usually with OT in the subject), and no one's ever really raised as stink so so there's no problem with posting these to the General Discussion board.

7) Keep in mind what ScreamingChicken mentioned above - BBQing isn't necessarily as popular as it was a few years ago, and a lot of members have moved on. But once again, things may pick up in summer.

Personally, I don't post the 40-60 times a week as I used to either. This is in part because I've switched to a new job in summer of 2012 and I've been running a small business on the side since 2009 so my time is a bit more scarce. It's also in part because this has been a really long winter and I've still got spots in my yard under 2 1/2 feet of snow. The first time I grilled this year was yesterday (pork steaks) and it was still nasty enough outside that i didn't want to bring out my camera.

But once again, things may change this spring. :D

Ah Canada, give me a break. If you are too busy to fulfill the role of a moderator, why can you not step down from the role, rather than coming from out of the woodwork to vent on me? Do you really believe there would be anyone here at all were it not for Brad?

No man, the forum has never been this slow. Moreover, I could offer proof that all of what I claim is true, and your assessments are incorrect. Say the word, and I'll post just one forum's name and link. And if you are wondering why I even come back here, it's because this place (at least at one time) felt like "home" to me. I am merely trying to help facilitate some positive and beneficial and necessary changes. I do care. And I see that queing is MORE popular than ever. To do nothing but wait and hope is just forum suicide. Look at the signs, man... the writing of the epitaph must be stopped.
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:25 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Old Smoker wrote:
Thank you Beercuer for this post and spot on, this forum has changed significantly over the past few years, the new look is nice but could still use a little tweaking but it seems some of the biggest drop in followers came when whole sections started disappearing the Chargriller thread being the biggest one and I know the kind of grill or smoker one uses is usually based on what one can afford but then there was this large turn where all I saw was BGE this and that and how bad everyone wanted one the forum seemed like it was loosing it's diversity no one was simply saying here is what I accomplished today but look what I did on the egg, no offense to the many owners of BGE here, they are a very nice grill but a tad to pricey for me, I like to cook and this place was a great place for info and input. I don't intend to be a gourmet chef or be an outstanding master of the grill like Steven so I read a little here now and then but rarely post because it seems like who really cares if it wasn't done on an egg. Most people can see what you cook on by your signature or the pictures you post and if a novice comes in here with questions about an ECB,WSM,CG or SNP or something like that they'd think they came to the wrong place maybe I just need to come here more often but this is one of the reasons I don't come here like I use to. I have seen questions asked about other grill/smokers with little to no reply. This is only my opinion and based on my observations during my sparse visits .

Phew!-- After that last post, I really want to thank you back, Old Smoker. I certainly appreciate your insights. (And I hear you about the BGE-- a bit out of my budget as well). I really appreciate your insights and testimony :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

Beercuer, I feel alot the way you do. this was the first BBQ forum I ever joined and the one I use to feel the most comfortable visiting. I know some of you are thinking if you don't like it here why do you come here the best answer I have for that is just because I don't live in this neighborhood any more doesn't mean I don't like visiting and thats when the changes become more obvious and yes maybe you're right.maybe I should just move on but it doesn't seem to work like that either. This isn't meant to be a bashing or anything like that just an observasion by an older tenant.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Old Smoker wrote:
Beercuer, I feel alot the way you do. this was the first BBQ forum I ever joined and the one I use to feel the most comfortable visiting. I know some of you are thinking if you don't like it here why do you come here the best answer I have for that is just because I don't live in this neighborhood any more doesn't mean I don't like visiting and thats when the changes become more obvious and yes maybe you're right.maybe I should just move on but it doesn't seem to work like that either. This isn't meant to be a bashing or anything like that just an observasion by an older tenant.

Well said, Old Smoker, well said!
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:32 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh dear,... I would have sworn there was another post here. And now don't see it, can't find it.
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:16 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I love love love how every time Canada had a chance to take a stab at BGE people he did.

Thanks very much :) BTW, Steven is also talking about BGE as well...

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

"BGE snobbery"?? There is a sticky on this website dedicated to the "Chargriller Family"... I personally find all sorts of cookers enjoyable. That's one of the things I enjoy most about Steven and his show. Why does it appear "snobby" when one talks highly of the BGE product, but not when one talks highly of another grill? Sorry, Canada, gotta disagree with you there. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:17 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I had a feeling some of those imprudent BGE comments weren't going to fly too well. Some of our more prominent posters and contributers have been BGE owners. And this is the thanks they get? Dear Heavens, I'm trying to restrain myself from getting boiling mad. Many of our cap'n moderators who have all but abandoned us and jumped ship... fine,... what a wonderful example. No wonder to me what kind of effect this has had on the forum as well. It is in this light I wish to cast my vote for Chef Dyal as a moderator to give Brad a hand.
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:

Ah Canada, give me a break. If you are too busy to fulfill the role of a moderator, why can you not step down from the role, rather than coming from out of the woodwork to vent on me? Do you really believe there would be anyone here at all were it not for Brad?

I haven't been in the woodwork (although woodworking is a sideline for me). I've been here all along - I just haven't been replying to a lot of posts since I took my new job last summer. And you won't see me stepping down anytime soon, as the new job has settled down and I've got more time to spend on the board again. I may have been lurking more than posting in the last 8 months but that doesn't mean I'm not moderating the board.

As for Brad, he's done an excellent job, but keep in mind that there are at least 6 other moderators on this board, not including Steven. We all pitch in behind the scenes, doing everything from discussing issues on the board to spammer control (and we've had a lot of that lately). So yes, there would still be people here (although more of them might not be real people and they'd try to sell you a bunch of stuff too). :twisted:

Sorry if some of you seem to think I'm always "bashing BGEs", but that's just not the case. And while a lot of members of this forum are BGE owners I'd be willing to bet that more aren't. But yes - I apologize if some of my earlier comments were a bit imprudent. :oops:

However, Dyal makes a good point, and maybe it's high time we had another sticky just devoted to BGEs as well. I've brought this up tonight with all of the other moderators, and if it flies, heck, I'll even create the sticky post myself.

Old Smoker wrote:

I agree 100%, Old Smoker, and that's why I'm still around too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
beercuer wrote:

I haven't been in the woodwork (although woodworking is a sideline for me). I've been here all along - I just haven't been replying to a lot of posts since I took my new job last summer. And you won't see me stepping down anytime soon, as the new job has settled down and I've got more time to spend on the board again. I may have been lurking more than posting in the last 8 months but that doesn't mean I'm not moderating the board.

As for Brad, he's done an excellent job, but keep in mind that there are at least 6 other moderators on this board, not including Steven. We all pitch in behind the scenes, doing everything from discussing issues on the board to spammer control (and we've had a lot of that lately). So yes, there would still be people here (although more of them might not be real people and they'd try to sell you a bunch of stuff too). :twisted:

Sorry if some of you seem to think I'm always "bashing BGEs", but that's just not the case. And while a lot of members of this forum are BGE owners I'd be willing to bet that more aren't. But yes - I apologize if some of my earlier comments were a bit imprudent. :oops:

However, Dyal makes a good point, and maybe it's high time we had another sticky just devoted to BGEs as well. I've brought this up tonight with all of the other moderators, and if it flies, heck, I'll even create the sticky post myself.

Old Smoker wrote:

I agree 100%, Old Smoker, and that's why I'm still around too.

Really? Really??? You know Canada, I was going to respond to you in my chicken post and let bygones be bygones. And then I caught hold of this post. Methinks you stuck your foot in your mouth again. However, I will not argue with you this time. I'm sorry, you have already revealed your true feelings and attitudes. At this point, it will be clear and apparent enough to folk that they will be scratching their heads, wondering what is wrong with this picture.

Yes, my first argument had a point about the real state of this forum. No way was I going to allow a pant load of bald sheep drop on us and have the wool pulled over our heads. I have no desire to further war with you. Others may however. It is said that a prophet is one who sticks out his neck only to get his head lopped off. So I'm headless now, okay.
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

You know Canada it's because of you that I have refrained from posting my thoughts on grills when someone asks about a grill. I still remember the argument you started because you were blasting BGE on your soap box. I don't know why people can't tout the BGE as their best grill. I've owned 3 different products Weber, CG Trio and BGE and unfortunately out of those 3 CG is in last. Have you ever cooked on a BGE? I doubt you have so how could you give your input on the BGE? Out of the owners I know that cook on a BGE their confession right away is how different everything tastes coming off of it. If it's a good product why can't we talk about it? That's the great thing about America is that we have freedom of speech and thoughts.

A lot of us have left the forum because it is dead and it's not a seasonal thing Canada. No other forum dies down like this one has. I'm sorry I'm the one to be vocal but don't sit here and blast BGE and every comment you make is about BGE but then try to say "I didn't realize I was saying that" Come on man you have from day 1 blasted BGE.

Also what's so wrong about sending someone to your personal blog? Nothing, I love to read blogs and more in depth cooks!

If you care you can visit my blog as well it's in my signature :lol:

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 am
Griffin well done
well done

This is sad. Really, really sad. Both what is going on in this topic and the forum. I've been a member for over 8 years here. The first bbq forum I ever joined. It used to be the first thing I would check on in the morning. I say "used to be". Now, maybe once a week. Why? Because the activity has dropped off (and not just seasonally. check last summer if you don't believe me). And so has the sense of community. Not to mention the anit-BGE snobbery shown by some members.

Used to be this place had more of a sense of community. Heck, I've made friends on here that I text and message on e-mail. I know what is going on in their lives, I know their wives names, I know what's going on in their kids lives. We send gift boxes of stuff including rubs and sauces and other items. Hell, we even root for each others college teams. People used to ask questions and help each other out and give praise on nicely done cooks. Now, you can have a post viewed easily 200 times and only one comment. (BTW Screaming Chicken you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. ) No welcome aboard committees for new members. Nothing.

And don't believe for one second BBQ was a fad and is dropping off. All you have to do is take a look at some other forums and see how many people are joining on a daily basis. And getting warm welcomes. It just ain't happening here.

Personally, I don't care if you have a Smokey Joe, or a BGE (or other Kamado), a char-griller duo, a UDS or a top dollar custom built grill. Or whether its gas, charcoal or a stick burner. I've cooked on kettles, offsets, stickburners, gas, open flame. You name it, I've cooked on it ('cept a UDS which I would like to do. Maybe I should build one :wink: ). I just want to see you cook on it, what you are doing with yours. It gets me excited and inspires me. I'm not anti-your grill snobbery like some people.

And CanadaBBQ...I feel like you took a shot at me and my blog, so I'd like to address that. I get it. When I first started it, I was excited about it. I wanted to see the traffic go up and what kind of numbers I could get. I got carried away a little bit with it, I'm sure. It was (and is) a labor of love for me. I started it as a way to keep track of my cooks in one centralized spot that I could easily access. That way I could find a cook and easily reproduce it. Or if I was at the store, I could figure out what ingredients I needed. And to help other people out (which it seems to be doing). So I took a look back last night at some of my recent posts to see how many I said "go to my blog". Guess what? There were just as many that had no connection to my blog. No "go to my blog for the recipe". Some aren't even on my blog. Fajitas, brats, pizza, pimento cheese burger, chicken pot pie (left over bbq chicken), Baltimore Pit Beef, smoked turkey breast, meatloaf, brined and grilled shrimp are some example. Do I need to keep going? And then I went back through your posts to see what kind of cooks you contributed. Guess what I found? Going all the way back to March 22 of last year....nothing. Not one single post of a cook you did. Granted I did this quickly as my time is valuable, I may have missed one, but I didn't see anything. Not even a burger or a hot dog. No brisket. No ribs. Nothing. And you are a moderator? You sure aren't a contributor! What gives you the right to criticize others when you won't put up your own?

I don't know what needs to be done to fix it. Maybe some of us "older" members who used to be more active and have moved on need to come back and breathe some life back into it. Me and some others that I talked to tried that a few months ago, but didn't get much of a response. Maybe something like the format needs to be changed. Maybe some of the stickies at the top of the general section need to be moved somewhere else so you can see new posts quicker (you have to go down to the 11 post now to see a new post). Maybe the moderators (excluding Screaming Chicken who seems to be carrying all the weight) need to get off their butts, fire up their grill and make some posts to contribute. Honestly, I don't know who the moderators are besides Screaming Chicken and Canada are. They make that much of an impact with their lack of contributions of cooks to this site. :roll: Something needs to be done or the lights need to be turned off and whoever is last out the door, make sure to shut it behind you. I think I've rambled on long enough for now and I'm barely through my first cup of coffee. Hope some of that made some sense.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 am
Griffin well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
You know Canada it's because of you that I have refrained from posting my thoughts on grills when someone asks about a grill. I still remember the argument you started because you were blasting BGE on your soap box. I don't know why people can't tout the BGE as their best grill. I've owned 3 different products Weber, CG Trio and BGE and unfortunately out of those 3 CG is in last. Have you ever cooked on a BGE? I doubt you have so how could you give your input on the BGE? Out of the owners I know that cook on a BGE their confession right away is how different everything tastes coming off of it. If it's a good product why can't we talk about it? That's the great thing about America is that we have freedom of speech and thoughts.

A lot of us have left the forum because it is dead and it's not a seasonal thing Canada. No other forum dies down like this one has. I'm sorry I'm the one to be vocal but don't sit here and blast BGE and every comment you make is about BGE but then try to say "I didn't realize I was saying that" Come on man you have from day 1 blasted BGE.

Also what's so wrong about sending someone to your personal blog? Nothing, I love to read blogs and more in depth cooks!

If you care you can visit my blog as well it's in my signature :lol:

x2 and a Hell yeah!!

Oh...and don't forget to check my blog. It's in my signature. :wink:

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:57 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Didn't ask for a BGE sticky, CanadaBBQguy. Just pointing out the fact that others talk highly about other grills too. What may seem like "BGE snobbery" is probably just the fact that more BGE owners are posting than other types of grill owners. If you want more types of grilling posts, feel free to contribute! I'd love to see more variety myself! :) Everyone on this forum is crazy talented! Love you guys...even you, Canada. ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

You want a simple reason why the board is dead?

We all came to this board because most of us either watched Raichlen and his grilling shows or knew of him and his books. Now unfortunately he's not on TV as much so the flow of new traffic isn't going to be there.

You google BBQ forums and this one doesn't even come up on the first page of the search engine. Stuff like that will never increase traffic flow especially new traffic.

I'm a stats geek and can guarantee that the highest flow of traffic was at the height of Steven's TV visibility.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion