Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Saturday Chuck-Eyes

Saturday Chuck-Eyes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Got a couple chuck-eye steaks, made up some salads and some beef and sundried tomato risotto

Browning up the rice for the risotto

Seasoned up the steaks with fresh pepper and some GF seasoning salt

Decided to grill on the gasser with Jack-Daniel's wood-chips. First side done

Last batch of beef broth in the risotto, coming along nicely

After 15 min rest, plated up time to eat

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:15 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Marvelous meal, Trolby! I like! Chuck eye might be one of the best kept secrets of the steak world-- they are such gooood eats. Do you find that risotto is a bit tricky to make? I notice on the Gordon Ramsey's "Hell's Kitchen" TV show, many of the contestants seem to struggle with it. Yours looks fabulous! :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

I'll take a plate. :D

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice, Trollby! How labor-intensive was the risotto? It looks like an excellent side dish.

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Marvelous meal, Trolby! I like! Chuck eye might be one of the best kept secrets of the steak world-- they are such gooood eats. Do you find that risotto is a bit tricky to make? I notice on the Gordon Ramsey's "Hell's Kitchen" TV show, many of the contestants seem to struggle with it. Yours looks fabulous! :D

Really nice meal, Trollby!

Beercuer - I don't know if chuck-eyes are that well-kept a secret as we seem to talk about them a fair bit here. :twisted:

As for risotto, I seem to recall that one of the tricks was to add the hot broth in stages and wait till the rice absorbs it all before adding the next batch. I picked up that tip on Rachael Ray's first cooking show, and it seems to work fine.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:49 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I make home made risotto when I can and sometimes I make the "Kit".

The kit seems to be more salty especially if you add broth not just water.

Browning the rice and pre-heating the broth is a must, also Broth is ok, stock is better. (low sodium is best)

I really like to use a "Hot pot electric kettle" to keep my stock at almost boil, you need to brown the rice and add the seasoning you want. (This batch had sundried tomato, garlic and onion with beef broth, I was out of beef stock)
The first amount of stock is just enough to cover the rice, it will bubble up watch the steam it will get ya.
Stir until it starts to thicken then add a ladle or two more broth continue this routine for about 20-25minutes and you have a great risotto (the amount of stock is based on the amount of rice)

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
I make home made risotto when I can and sometimes I make the "Kit".

The kit seems to be more salty especially if you add broth not just water.

Browning the rice and pre-heating the broth is a must, also Broth is ok, stock is better. (low sodium is best)

I really like to use a "Hot pot electric kettle" to keep my stock at almost boil, you need to brown the rice and add the seasoning you want. (This batch had sundried tomato, garlic and onion with beef broth, I was out of beef stock)
The first amount of stock is just enough to cover the rice, it will bubble up watch the steam it will get ya.
Stir until it starts to thicken then add a ladle or two more broth continue this routine for about 20-25minutes and you have a great risotto (the amount of stock is based on the amount of rice)

Now that's quite a system, too. Mine's similar, though, as I keep a pot of stock (not broth) barely even simmering on the stove. But I agree with you about the kit, the salt, and the seasonings. Risotto can be good, but with enough attention to detail it's more of an art too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 am
Griffin well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Do you find that risotto is a bit tricky to make? I notice on the Gordon Ramsey's "Hell's Kitchen" TV show, many of the contestants seem to struggle with it. Yours looks fabulous! :D

I've wondered the same thing. I have wanted to try risotto for awhile, but recently have been put on a no-grain, no carb diet (going primal) so it will have to wait. Your steaks and risottolook great.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wish I had this for lunch. I'm a big risotto fan.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I guess I've never seen chuck steaks in my locale. Wonder if they are called something else? Only time I ever see chuck is chuck roasts.....

Return to General Discussion