Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Carribbean chicken sweet and tangy

Carribbean chicken sweet and tangy

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:58 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

This Carribbean chicken is a recipe I have made for many years, and was once a favorite of my mother. She was so fond of the sweet and tangy flavors of it. Here are the ingredients that go into the "secret sauce" if you will-- lemon (including zest), coarse ground pepper, two shots of white wine, dark corn syrup, crushed oregano, seasoned salt, and butter to follow.

Out to the pit to grill the chicken breasts

Then we simmer the breasts in the secret sauce for a spell. Notice the lemon zest atop the chicken. Whoever thought of that one is brilliant.

Okay, we're now ready to plate it on a bed of orange rice and special green beans. Simple and humble appearance perhaps, but it greets the taste buds most affectionately.

Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

The chicken looks delicious. If these are the kind of chicken breasts you grill for your dog, you have a very lucky dog.

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:10 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You mean this dog? If she's lucky, then she's worthy. No dog has ever liked me like this one does.

Got beer???

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BC, you come up with some of the most colorful recipes...mine seem to be primarily brown! :lol:

When I saw "Caribbean" in the title I was expecting something spicy. Have you ever created a hotter version? Maybe with a little Scotch bonnet added?

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
BC, you come up with some of the most colorful recipes...mine seem to be primarily brown! :lol:

When I saw "Caribbean" in the title I was expecting something spicy. Have you ever created a hotter version? Maybe with a little Scotch bonnet added?

Brad, my favorite color is brown!-- at least, that's the way I like the outsides of my steaks, burgers, meatloaf, what have you to look.

A Scotch bonnet of all peppers would certainly kick this recipe up a notch or two. :lol: Thanks for the inspiration!--I've yet to try that, and I very much like the idea.
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:02 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:

Brad, my favorite color is brown!-- at least, that's the way I like the outsides of my steaks, burgers, meatloaf, what have you to look.

A Scotch bonnet of all peppers would certainly kick this recipe up a notch or two. :lol: Thanks for the inspiration!--I've yet to try that, and I very much like the idea.

Excellent chicken, beercuer!

There's an alternative to the fresh scotch bonnet peppers that might suit you as well. I use Grace habanero sauce and it's down in the Caribbean food section of some of my local supermarkets. It's really hot, but you can add it in smaller amounts to control the heat. If I recall, Grace is a Jamaican company, so they're pretty close to the genuine, homemade thing.

Oh- and it's got an excellent taste to it as well, and not just brain-melting heat. I found that out when I tried a half-teaspoonful of it by itself once. Once my blood pressure dropped to normal again and the blood sweat cleared from my eyes I discovered it had a bit of a citrus and floral aftertaste. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 am
Griffin well done
well done

Sweet and tangy? My mouth is watering already. Sounds wonderful and looks great. I think I would like to try it with chicken thighs, though. Not a big fan of the breast meat.

Cute looking pooch, BTW.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Lookin' real good, BC! I remember years ago when you made this chicken...still looks good today! :) I forgot about it...thx for the reminder! Still need to try it!!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Love those flavors you have going on :) Looks like a future cook! Wonder if it would work with no bone and skinless breasts.

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you kindly, gentlemen :D

Canada-- I will look for that Grace habanero sauce. Curious, I have noticed wide variation in habanero sauces. Some are so watered down that they're no hotter than a Louisiana style cayenne, while there are others where one drop could maybe fuel a rocket to the moon. I like citrusy things.

Griffin-- Thighs would work great. I went with breast this time because that's what the dog wanted .

Dyal-- Amazing memory!

Eddie--Boneless skinless breasts would also work great, and in a sense is ideal because that's so user friendly to eat. The one challenge of course is so long as the chicken does not cook to dry point. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Thank you kindly, gentlemen :D

Canada-- I will look for that Grace habanero sauce. Curious, I have noticed wide variation in habanero sauces. Some are so watered down that they're no hotter than a Louisiana style cayenne, while there are others where one drop could maybe fuel a rocket to the moon. I like citrusy things.

Griffin-- Thighs would work great. I went with breast this time because that's what the dog wanted .

Dyal-- Amazing memory!

Eddie--Boneless skinless breasts would also work great, and in a sense is ideal because that's so user friendly to eat. The one challenge of course is so long as the chicken does not cook to dry point. :D

One thing to watch out for with the Grace habanero sauce: it has a lot of seeds in it as it's basically crushed peppers, salt and vinegar - it's closer to the "blast you to the moon" side of the scale. The good news is that you can strain the seeds out if you want and that limits the heat (somewhat anyway....) without taking away the taste. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for the hot tip. As a card carrying member of the Chileheads club, I fear not the heat, though I do respect it.
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion