Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion best/worse uses for ceramic grill.

best/worse uses for ceramic grill.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 pm
eon medium
medium

I was curious to those who have one, what foods or do you feel an ceramic grill really shines cooking and what foods do you pull out a regular grill/smoker?

I'm debating if i should take the plunge and buy one, i currently only have a char griller smokin pro
thanks!

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 am
toyman medium
medium

Ceramic grills really shine in all aspects, grilling, smoking, and baking. Plus they are extremely efficient. The real limitation is size. Don't get me wrong, you can smoke a lot of meat on a large and even more on an extra-large, but there are larger smokers on the market. For reference, I've smoked ~25# of pork/beef, which filled my Large Big Green Egg. Other than that, I don't really see a negative.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

These were the same concerns I had before buying ceramic, I really didn't want to spend the money and be disappointed. The size/shape issue was also a concern. After LOTS of research, I decided to go with the Primo Oval XL. Its shape allows for some very versatile configurations. I like that I can make 2 zones in this cooker using the firebox divider and ceramic deflector plates. I have done briskets, butts, steaks, burgers, pizza, stir fry with a wok, etc.... The shape is what sold it for me, its long oval shape accomodates long briskets/ribs, etc easier than round, in my opinion. There are some very die-hard fans of BGE, but I think I read somewhere, and tend to agree, ceramic grills are very similiar in the ceramic material used, the molded shape is the big difference. I also like that Primos are made in the U.S. Look at their website and see what you think, I just know that I have not regretted once getting the Primo.

As far as what foods are good on ceramics, besides the above mentioned, I really like to do chicken, either whole or spatchcocked, the ceramic really holds in moisture, and chicken turns out great. Steaks are good, you "bake" them first, remove, raise temp, and sear them at the end, as ceramics are eisier to get hot than to cool down. I have baked a cake in the ceramic, fun, but not too noticable than from an oven. Briskets and butts are really the best though, start them at night, go to bed, and the next day they are done, thats pretty easy cooking!! I can't really think of anything that is bad in ceramic, I will admit though, if I am doing a burger or two, I will fire up the gas, just quicker than lighting coals, but if I'm doing lots of burgers, I will use the ceramic. Hope this helps!
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:25 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

EVERYTHING is great on a ceramic. I fire up the gasser for burgers, and some times fish. If it's raining cats and dogs, I might use it for steak, but there are few things that don't go on the ceramic. Low and slow, or hot 700F+ and blazing, they are amazing.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

I can't think of any worse uses. 'Ceptin maybe size. But with some accessories, you can still fit plenty in it. I've done 3 pork shoulders with no accessories. 3 racks of ribs. You can do more with, though. With accessories I was able to do 12 chicken thighs and a mess of drumbsticks (probably a dozen or so)

It really shines at low and slow. No need to refill or mess with it on an overnighter. I've gone 16 hours and haven't adjusted it. I sleep like a baby now when doing overnight briskets or butts. No worries.

And high temps? 700 degree pizzas no problem. It can go higher, but I never really go above 700.

And don't get me started on baking....pineapple upside down cake. Chocolate bourbon pecan pies. Giant cast iron skillet chocolate chip cookies.

It works so well, I gave my 5 burner stainless steel gas grill to my parents and took my offset down to the ranch as they were no longer being used. Somedays I do miss having my offset, but a trip down to the ranch cooking on it and babysitting it, tending it every 30 minutes to an hour cures me of that. It's fun, but its hard work and I'd rather "set it and forget it" and go about my business doing honey-do's, playing with the dogs or just sit back and relax on the porch with my wife.

Return to General Discussion