Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion I love Easter (Prime Rib on Sale) PIX

I love Easter (Prime Rib on Sale) PIX

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I couldn't fit this whole thing in a Dry-Age bag, so I had to cut off a steak. Actually TWO steaks (or my wife would have killed me.) Pretty good marbling for Choice at $4.99/lb. as far as I am concerned. Looks pretty close to Prime. I bought a small roast, then finally nabbed the butcher for a subprimal. He left the bones on (I didn't complain) though I probably could have because $4.99 was the BONELESS price... I really WANTED the bones and was not in a dickering mood. Never tried dry-aging bone-in before. No problems with the bags tearing, but I suspect these will be a little more difficult to butcher into steaks.

Maybe I'll just try these as dry-aged ROASTS !! At $100 for a 20lb hunk o' meat, I am looking forward to NEXT Easter already...

Last edited by phillyjazz on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Joe Grod medium
medium

Twice a year (Christmas and Easter) Shoprite has Rib Roast on sale, and this Easter season it is also advertised at $4.99lb. I usually have enough kids over to warrant a whole 7 bone roast, but this time around, not as many kids, so I will be cooking up a 5 bone roast and a small ham.

How does the dry aging bag work and does it make a difference when aging a large roast. I wonder, does the moisture lost in the aging process, affect the texture of the roast?

Joe :)

phillyjazz well done
well done

You can read all about the process here. I usually make steaks out of the dry-aged cuts, though sometimes I cut out a roast.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/

Yous lose some weight, and the meat cooks quicker. Flavor is INTENSE !!
- Phillyjazz -

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice score, PJ! I'm not cooking for Easter this year or I'd be on the lookout for a nice roast.

Looking forward to seeing the final results!

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

Philly Jazz, Thanks for the link.

Funny thing a couple of weeks ago Fairway Markets had Prime Grade Beef Rib Roast or Steaks on sale for a ridiculously low price, if my memory serves me well, of $7.99lb. I didn't have the need nor the storage capacity to make that purchase. As you know finding Prime Grade Beef in a supermarket, especially at an affordable price, is rare. On a side note I picked up a 9lb barrel cured piece of corned beef from Fairway for St. Patricks Day, for $3.99lb, which was outstanding.

P.S. Their quality and variety of smoked fish is unparalleled in N.J.

Joe :)

phillyjazz well done
well done

I have not seen Prime in Costco even since the recession ended. Funny .. That's about the only effect I have felt from the "recovery."
- Phillyjazz -

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

This week 4/21, Fairway Market is advertising "PRIME" Rib Steaks and Roasts for $8.99lb. I believe a trip north is in my future.

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

$4.99/lb? That's a fantastic price - great score, phillyjazz!

Can't wait to see the finished dry-aged results!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:32 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
$4.99/lb? That's a fantastic price - great score, phillyjazz!

Can't wait to see the finished dry-aged results!

Still aging ...
- Phillyjazz -

Return to General Discussion