Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Tamarind glazed Denver lamb ribs

Tamarind glazed Denver lamb ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:53 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I've been away from the BBQ scene for a bit, so I was excited to whip up this particular meal. I got a hold of some lamb breast and wrote out a list of some new things to try with it. I usually cook it whole, without too much trimming. I had another project in mind which required that for this cook, I just use the portion of the lamb breast which correlates to the Denver lamb rib cut. Upon removing the lamb breast from the packaging, I was a bit dismayed:

Some butcher completely deboned and trimmed one of the sides (boneless slab on bottom):

I was limited to just one rack of ribs for this cook, but realized I could put the trimmed lamb belly to good use for another food project and all was not lost. The ribs were removed and trimmed:

The rub for the ribs was pretty basic - just salt, pepper, and Chinese 5 spice:

Once the ribs were tossed onto the smoker, I set out to make the tamarind marinade:

tamarind nectar, fish sauce, ginger, and brown sugar

Almost forgot the curry paste:

This was cooked down at a low temp until thick and syrupy:

Four hours in, the ribs were looking pretty good and ready for a good glazing:

I basted them every 25-30 minutes. Once I was happy with the amount of glaze, the ribs came off the smoker:

In the meantime, I cooked some coconut-ginger-jasmine rice:

Time to grub:

The very mild gaminess of that Pacific Northwestern-raised lamb, combined with the sultry, tangy, slightly sweet, and spicy glaze -- just out of this world delicious! I really could have used another rack of those bad boys.

As this meal has an Asian-theme to it, I figured the dessert should follow the same tune. Asian desserts tend to be fairly healthy, and I wasn't in the mood for such things. Nope, tonight would consist of something smoked and then deep fried. Then it came to me - dessert eggrolls! Smoked apple eggrolls to be exact.

I used some Granny Smith apples, which were peeled, cored, coated with cinnamon and brown sugar, and then topped with tamarind nectar:

They were removed from the smoker after a few hours and cooked down in more tamarind nectar until caramelized:

The tamarind-apple filling was wrapped in egg rolls and deep fried over medium heat:

While still piping hot, the smoked apple egg rolls were tossed in a smoked vanilla bean cinnamon sugar mixture:

Oh yes...that's the ticket:

Oh goodness. They were like deep fried caramel apple pies. 50% sweet and 50% tart and 100% sinful.

Good eats. 8)

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, it's quite obvious that you haven't lost your touch. :wink:

I see lots of flavor in your lamb rub and baste ingredients, and the smoked apple eggrolls are a great creation!

Did any particular flavor of the ribs stand out?

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Did any particular flavor of the ribs stand out?

Mainly a mildly sweet, savory, tart flavor.

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Quite a masterful and creative cuisine there, SG! My those ribs look succulent! I've yet to have the chance to try lamb ribs. But I too am very fond of glazes. You sure do find neat new things to show us.
Got beer???

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Great looking lamb ribs. i enjoy Indian food, especially the accompaniments such as Tamarind Chutney. I found this product a couple of years ago in an Indian food market I frequent occasionally. It ls a great addition to any glaze.

Joe :)

Return to General Discussion