Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Breast of baconbird

Breast of baconbird

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a split turkey breast at the store and needed to come up with a way to cook it.

When in doubt, reach for the bacon!

My boss had told me about a bacon-wrapped, boneless, skinless breast he'd done so I borrowed from that idea and put bacon under the skin and in the pocket on the side, and then added a little around the edge.
Image Image

I put it on a 350-375 fire with some apple wood for smoke until it reached 170 internal.
Image Image Image

The bacon added taste and salt but I was a little surprised that I didn't get a better smoke ring and stronger smoke flavor. The leftovers made great sandwiches with toasted bread and mayo.

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 am
sroach well done
well done

SC,

That looks awesome. Did you brine first?

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nope, just let it go as-is. I gambled that the bone, skin, and bacon would be enough to help keep it moist and it did, but a light brine certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Chicken looks delicious to me, Brad, and what a fantastic idea with the bacon. Must try that. Thanks!
Got beer???

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
The bacon added taste and salt but I was a little surprised that I didn't get a better smoke ring and stronger smoke flavor. The leftovers made great sandwiches with toasted bread and mayo.

I bet they did. Nice job on that chicken.

Return to General Discussion