Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion St. Pat's corned beef

St. Pat's corned beef

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This past Sunday we made sure to have plenty of corned beef on hand. Mrs. Chicken got things rolling with a 4-pound flat in the crock pot.

While I took a couple of flats (about 2-1/4 pounds each) and added fresh pepper and garlic powder.
Image Image

I also picked up a small head of cabbage to put on the grill.

Unfortunately things didn't go quite as expected and I wound up getting the flats on the rotisserie late, although I did have enough time to get them mostly cooked. At least they looked good.
Image Image

They definitely could've used another hour or more as the meat was a bit chewy, although the flavor was good. Thankfully all of us have our teeth because they came in handy, plus the flat was quite tender from having been in the crockpot all day.

The next night I cut up the leftovers into smaller pieces, put them in a casserole dish with potatoes and some leftover cabbage, and cooked it in the oven for 2 hours at 350 degrees. This time the meat was a lot more tender!

Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Looking good. Was the beef done on the rotisserie overly salty? Evey time I have tried cooking corned beef outside of a simmering pot of water, it was too salty for my taste.

This year I purchased a 9lb "Barrel Cured" corned beef from Fairway Market, which is a family owned gourmet type of chain store. I wanted to roast that beef in the oven or on my gas grill, but I was worried about the meat being overly salty. Turns out that after 3 hours of simmering I was left with the best corned beef I had ever cooked. I'm going to call to see if they have anymore or else next year I'll buy an extra couple of pieces to smoke as pastrami.

Joe G :)

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It was a little salty but not too bad; I rinsed it well before putting it on the grill.

On a different board one person simmered his corned beef first and then finished it on the grill. I'd like to give that method a try.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:15 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

In the past, when cooking supermarket corned beefs, I would the change water after the first boil. Someone recommended overnight soaking with some water changes, but you never know how much flavor you are losing. Another recipe recommended cutting off a small piece and cooking the morsel to determine the salt level of the beef. The other option is to brine your own, which I did one year, but since I didn't have any salt peter to add, the meat cooked to a gray color. Good flavor, but some complaints. This year, after tasting the barrel cured beef, I was hooked. All the brined beef were packer cuts, of which the butchers were happy to cut any size you wanted. Next year, I'm going to pick up a couple of point cuts for pastrami.

Joe G.

Return to General Discussion