Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My Favorite Steak Dinner

My Favorite Steak Dinner

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I begin with flap meat, carne asada rub, and fresh juice from orange. Let marinate for full 24 hours. (Sometimes, I include minced garlic as well).

Prep the pit with 100% hardwood briquets and a hunk o' lump (mesquite) for that traditional delicious smokey flavor.

I like to go slow, indirect (start to finish)

First libation finished, time to plate. Homemade Mexican brown rice, Hass avocado chunks, and refried black beans topped with cheese of the day (Ordinarily, I would go with a queso fresco, but had to use Gouda here), accompany the carne. Oh, and topped with plenty of fresh salsa, of course (mmmmm... with cilantro). Have a margarita! :D

Got beer???

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Outstanding! The orange would be a nice change of pace from the lime that seems to be the most popular. Do you grow your own avocadoes, too?

The local store has "fajita beef" on sale this week so I'm hoping it might be something similar.

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for responding, Brad. Yes, in this case, there is enough sourness in the rub that makes the orange balance out the flavors with its sweeter appeel. Oh how I wish I had an avocado, even though the trees are awfully messy. But besides the citrus, I have another serious cash crop-- pommegranates.
Got beer???

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:27 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pomegranates? I'll take "Things That Don't Grow In Wisconsin" for $100, Alex. :wink:

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Pomegranates? I'll take "Things That Don't Grow In Wisconsin" for $100, Alex. :wink:

I can imagine that trying to grow one there would put the health of the tree in jeopardy. You sure do have the beers though! :lol:

Got beer???

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:00 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I just love beef cooked over mesquite, and your pics show why. Your meal looks fit for a king. 8)

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Ah shucks... Thank you again SG. I seem to have good luck cooking Mexican food. Carne asada is probably my signature dish, aside from my beef jerky.
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion