Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What's cookin' this weekend?

What's cookin' this weekend?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It looks like if I do any grilling it'll be Sunday; we might be going out for fish tonight and tomorrow I'm spending the day in the Chicago suburbs (Des Plaines) hanging out with some friends from another board and checking out a few local eateries, of which I don't think any do any live-fire cooking.

But I got a call yesterday that my annual beef order is ready to be picked up so I'm anticipating a nice steak sometime next week!

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 pm
Trollby well done
well done

This weekend Mashing German grains to make a Honey Maibock.

As far as grilling, think I might do some steaks on the grill :)

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 pm
scorched_porch medium-well
medium-well

A peck of pickled peppers. Grilled first, of course!

Some EVOO, water, Vinegar, oregano, bay, Peppers, onions, carrots and garlic. Fixings for traditional pickled jalapenos.

Charred real good on the trusty webber

And pickled. Great side to any grilled meats. I'll keep'em in the fridge until I decide what to grill.

Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:20 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks terrific, Steve! Not sure what I'm gonna cook tomorrow yet. We went to a Gamecocks Baseball game tonight and I had a corn dog. :) Maybe something with chicken drums and breasts for tomorrow since that is what is in the fridge.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am
BBQ Deputy

Mmmm...corn dogs. :wink:

Pickled smoked jalapenos would be kind of like chipotles without the adobo, correct? Or are chipotles simply dried and not smoked?

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm
medium-well

Yep - Chipotles are simply smoked jalapenos, "chipotles en adobo" have the "adobo" sauce - although I grilled them instead. Next time I think I'll just smoke them since I bet it would be better if they picked up more smoke flavor. I do that with Steve's pickled green pepper recipe (in BBQ USA). These came out great, we use them on everything.
22.5 WSM

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:24 am
Trollby well done
well done

Something completely different:

02/24/2013

Strike temp 165*F added the grains, sitting @ 154*F

30 min in, grains puffing up nice, temp 153*F

60min done, grains bulked up nice and temp is 150*F

Grains drained my sparge water is at 168*F and ready to go.

Here comes HOT BREAK[/img]

first 30 min boil done, added first bitter hops for the 60 min hop boil

New toy, wort chiller in for last 15 min

WOW, I should of got one of these sooner dropped it to 70*F in like 10min (tap water temp was 56*F)

Bohemian lager yeast ready, nice and puffed up

In the chill chest ready for the next 3 weeks at 48-50*F

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 am
BBQ Deputy

So what are you going to grill to go with the beer? I'm available for quality control... :wink:

I've often thought about trying my hand at homebrewing but then I realize where I live. It's far too easy to get stuff that's way better than anything I could create! :lol:

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm
Trollby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
So what are you going to grill to go with the beer? I'm available for quality control... :wink:

I've often thought about trying my hand at homebrewing but then I realize where I live. It's far too easy to get stuff that's way better than anything I could create! :lol:

Not true!

Sunday night I grilled up some cube steak and made mushroom gravy and had this beer:

German Imperial Pilsner

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:33 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Trollby,

Are you partial mashing or BIAB? edit- Just went back to FB, and it looks like you BIAB
3gal or 5gal batches? If 5gal it looks like partial boil?
You only show the final product on FB :P

E

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:48 am
BBQ Deputy

Another Friday is here...anybody got anything going on? I'm not sure about tonight...maybe a mushroom pizza on the grill? Mrs. Chicken doesn't have to work Sunday so I'll definitely be cooking something...perhaps the last rack of ribs in the freezer.

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:32 pm
medium-well

Well, Mrs Scorch has wrangled me into two separate charity events this weekend. So I'm spoken for. I swear that woman is a dynamo, volunteering to chair every board and auxiliary committee in town. So my weekends get pretty squished. At least until deer season (summer for coastal blacktail), then I get to put my foot down and run the 'Q in deer camp every weekend. But I hope at least somebody gets some grilling time in :(
22.5 WSM

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Wolfpackbbq wrote:
Trollby,

Are you partial mashing or BIAB? edit- Just went back to FB, and it looks like you BIAB
3gal or 5gal batches? If 5gal it looks like partial boil?
You only show the final product on FB :P

E

I do all.

The one pictured above was a BIAB, the German Imperial was a PM.

I tend to do 2.5 gallon batches, but done 5 gallon batches

oh, ya here is the final shot from the grilled cube steaks with muhroom gravy, side was a sundried tomato risoto

Saturday doing pork steak. sunday making Calico beans

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am
BBQ Deputy

scorched_porch wrote:
Well, Mrs Scorch has wrangled me into two separate charity events this weekend. So I'm spoken for. I swear that woman is a dynamo, volunteering to chair every board and auxiliary committee in town. So my weekends get pretty squished. At least until deer season (summer for coastal blacktail), then I get to put my foot down and run the 'Q in deer camp every weekend. But I hope at least somebody gets some grilling time in :(
Well, at least you're not spending your weekends bailing her out of jail! :wink: I'm sure there'll be plenty of outdoor cooking going on...we just need people to post about it!

I have a package of country-style ribs thawing and if they're meaty enough I'm going to try them on the rotisserie tomorrow. Mrs. Chicken works tonight so dinner might be whatever looks good at the grocery store today.

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:52 pm
medium-well

Ok, I snuck one in... Grilled a couple of hot dogs for lunch. I highly recommend Hillshire Farms cheddarwurst - about the best dog I've had in ages. If you haven't tried these, you might want to.
22.5 WSM

Next

Return to General Discussion