Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Flap Steak

Flap Steak

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

... Carne asada style. I cannot think of a more flavorful steak, in my experience. I go wawa over this stuff. Lucky me has citrus trees in my backyard, and I chose an orange this time to add to the asada rub for marinating. Added some minced garlic as well.

Of course, I so appreciate the aromatic nuance of mesquite smoke for which most tradition calls. I find it works well to just toss a lump of mesquite on top of the charcoal. Then I cook it slow, indirect, to let all the flavors collect and work in to the meat.

I like to get my nutrition, too. Plated it with orange, avocade, tortilla chips, with plenty of nice hot salsa on the side for dipping. Cinnamon make for a great touch on the orange slices. One mighty happy belly here tonight. :D

Got beer???

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a nicely-balanced meal, BC! I can't imagine how nice it must be to have fresh citrus fruit so readily at hand.

Did you use plain cinnamon or a sweetened version for the orange slices? That's an interesting combination I've never heard of.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you kindly, Brad. Amazing how much quality difference there is between homegrown fruits and vegetables vs. store bought. I just use simple ground cinnamon. I do hope you get to try it sometime-- they go together so well. Plus, if you opt for the "True" (Cassia, not Saigon) cinnamon, you get the added boon in how effectuve it is in keeping blood sugar levels in check. People have even reversed their diabetes II with the stuff. Not only that, but as an antimicrobial, it helps fight viral and bacterial invasions. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion