Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion B&B Charcoal

B&B Charcoal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 pm
Steve D medium
medium

I posted this over on the BGE forum so some of you might see it twice. Thought it would be worth posting here as well...

Thought I'd share my experience of trying a different charcoal recently.

I was in our local wallyworld last week to pick up some Royal Oak when I saw several 10 lb bags of B&B Oak lump and decided to try a couple of bags. I'd just cleaned my egg out and dumped in a load that came mid way up into the fire ring. First cook with it was a couple of pizzas at 500. The stuff sparked and spit and never really did settle down. Never really got clear smoke either. When I went to light it up again the next day I found that well over half of the charcoal had burned - never had that happen with ROcooking pizzas. The next cook burned through most of the rest the remnants along with most of the rest of the bag. (Burned 10 lbs of lump on 2 cooks? sheesh!)

This past Monday I dumped in part of the 2nd bag. Lit it up and it acted just like the first bag...but this time it smelled like coal...not charcoal...COAL. Again, it never cleared and our burgers ended up tasting 'coaly' as well. Now we love the flavor bood charcoal imparts but this stuff was just nasty. I still have half of the 2nd bag left and the remnants that are in the egg will be going back in the bag for disposal. Fortunately I had a chance to swing back by wallyworld yesterday to pick up some tried and true Royal Oak.

Anyone else here using B&B Charcoal? Whats your experience with been?

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag14.htm

Granted the review is 9 years ago but they didn't hate it.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:15 pm
Steve D medium
medium

I saw that and it surprised me a bit. Posted the same question over on the BGE board. Responses were interesting...either folks really liked it or had the same experience as me.

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag14.htm

Thanks for chiming in, Yardburner! :) I agree, that's a great database for charcoal reviews. Yardburner, you need to start posting more, including some pix of your cooks! ScreamingChicken posts some great stuff...would love to know what the other moderators are grilling up!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steve D wrote:
This past Monday I dumped in part of the 2nd bag. Lit it up and it acted just like the first bag...but this time it smelled like coal...not charcoal...COAL. Again, it never cleared and our burgers ended up tasting 'coaly' as well. Now we love the flavor bood charcoal imparts but this stuff was just nasty.
Ewww...

Are you going to drop B&B a line to tell them about this? Maybe something happened along the way and either the charcoal or bag got contaminated.

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
YardBurner wrote:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag14.htm

Thanks for chiming in, Yardburner! :) I agree, that's a great database for charcoal reviews. Yardburner, you need to start posting more, including some pix of your cooks! ScreamingChicken posts some great stuff...would love to know what the other moderators are grilling up!

Yeah, I know, I know.

We're in the middle of some MAJOR renovations at home
and the time and place (or energy) just isn't available right now.

When it reaches completion I'll be sure to share
the results and some cooks as well.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm
Steve D medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Ewww...

Are you going to drop B&B a line to tell them about this? Maybe something happened along the way and either the charcoal or bag got contaminated.

Yeah, I thought about doing that...especially since some others have had a similar experience. Could just be a bad run...

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm
Steve D medium
medium

Thought I'd add an update...I sent an e-mail to the B&B folks and got a response in short order.

Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent:

"Hi, I wanted to write to you about my recent experience with a couple of bags of your Oak Lump Charcoal (10 lb bag, purchased at Walmart). Hate to say it but I was not pleased with the charcoal.

I use a Big Green Egg. Last week while making pizza, cooing at 475-500 degrees I burned well over half a bag of charcoal making two pizzas. I've never burned anywhere near that much lump in the past. The next cook pretty much finished off the bag. I opened a second bag that I had purchased and noticed that the charcoal smelled more like coal than charcoal and ultimately imparted a coal-like flavor to the burgers we tried cooking with it. I evantually cleaned the remaining lump out of my egg and returned it to the bag and reloaded the Egg with another lump that I've had good results with in the past.

Any suggestions what might have caused the fast burn and coal-like odor. I've talked with other folks who have had similar experiences and also with folks who consider B&B Oak one of their favorite charcoals.

I would like to like B&B to have as an alternative when I can't find my regular charcoal but so far B&B isn't it.

Thanks,

Steve D"

Here's their response:

"Hi Steve,

Thanks for your feedback and we are very sorry for your experience. Honeslty in the over 50 years in this industry we have never heard of such an experience as you have described, with that said im not sure how to answer your questions.
We want to make this right for you somehow so we'll be happy to send you a couple free bags that will hopefully give you the #1 performance that has built our B&B brand out there as one of the bests natural lump charcoal in the market.
Please provide your shipping address and we'll get this going your way.
Travis Kainer
B&B Charcoal Inc. "

I know their bag says 'satisfaction guaranteed' so I hope they don't think I was just angling for a freebie. Since they're going to send me a couple bags to try I'll give 'em another try. So far their charcoal may not have impressed me but their customer service has.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 am
BBQ Deputy

At least they gave you a pretty decent response...hopefully this time the charcoal will be of much better quality.

A thought occurred to me: do the bags have lot numbers or any other kind of identification feature? I wonder if you and the other people who got bad bags might be able to find some common denominator.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am
Steve D medium
medium

I haven't looked but thats a good idea. I still have the bags on the deck...

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm
Steve D medium
medium

So the B&B story continues. When we got home from work this evening there were two HUGE boxes on our front porch addressed to me. I didn't remember ordering anything and Connie swore she hadn't ordered anything for me. Looked at the shipping label and it said C&C Wood and I began to wonder if it might be charcoal. I was going to open the boxes right then but I had agreed to cook supper while Connie took care of some other thing.

After supper I finally got around to opening the charcoal. Turns out they didn't send me two 10-lb bags like they said they would. Instead they sent two 20-lb bags! Hope I change my mind about it because now I have 40 lbs to play with (in addition to about 8 1/2 pounds of the nasty stuff that I don't know what to do with).

Jury may still be out on their charcoal but their customer service is great!

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 am
d_holck well done
well done

Steve D wrote:
Jury may still be out on their charcoal but their customer service is great!

That seems promising. If they weren't confident in their product, they probably wouldn't back it up so quickly. Keep us posted!
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 am
BBQ Deputy

Great to hear that they came through, Steve! Now if someone else would send you 2 big boxes of meat you could get busy! :lol:

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 pm
Steve D medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Great to hear that they came through, Steve! Now if someone else would send you 2 big boxes of meat you could get busy! :lol:

Now THAT would be nice! Heck, I'd be happy with one big box of meat!

Hey, if nothing else, we have two great new boxes for beds for our outdoor cats 8)

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 pm
JPET rare
rare

Have you tried the new charcoal they sent you? Is it the same? Is it the way it should be?

Next

Return to General Discussion