Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion St. Louis chuck steaks

St. Louis chuck steaks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Awhile back I was wondering why nobody ever uses the St. Louis pork steak method with beef so I gave it a try.

Since pork steaks are cut from the shoulder I chose something similar.

Instead of straight barbecue sauce for the braise I used a mixture of sauce, some beer from my ancestral homeland of Black River Falls, and Wisconsin tailgate staple Stadium Sauce.

The first step was to grill the steak, and at this point I had a hard time not stopping the whole process right there and just eating it.

But I went ahead and put it in a pan, added the sauce ingredients, and sealed the pan with a strip of foil.

I put the pan on the grill (temperature unknown) for about an hour and wound up with this.
Image Image

Mrs. Chicken and I had the same reaction: pot roast. And that's indeed what it tasted like.

Why I thought that white rice on a white plate would make a good image is beyond me!

The meat tasted OK and the sauce was pretty good, but I've just never been much of a pot roast fan so I doubt I'd do this again. Still, it was a worthwhile experiment and the next night I comforted myself with a chuck steak grilled in a more traditional fashion.
Image Image

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Well you sure did a marvelous job of branding your chuck steaks, Brad! Wish I could get grill marks like that. I've done teriyaki marinaded chucks, which I found to be a worthy and interesting variation, but like you, I find that nothing floats the boat quite like a simple grilling. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

You and beercuer have me wanting to try grilling a chuck steak! I've only taken them to pulling temp in the past. I don't think I've ever grilled one before, but my memory is bad. Looks great!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
You and beercuer have me wanting to try grilling a chuck steak! I've only taken them to pulling temp in the past. I don't think I've ever grilled one before, but my memory is bad. Looks great!

Dyal, I know you are quite the fan of flat iron steaks. Well, the flat iron is a section that is taken from the top blade chuck. If I may, try to get one that is cut thin (about 5/8"), and bone-in. I am most sure you will fall head-over-heels in luv with it. I might also add that each little section of chuck has it's own special characteristic twist of flavor/texture, and I wouild be hard pressed to say which one I like best. However, I would say that I prefer the regular chuck blade over the flat iron because it is cross cut. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Well you sure did a marvelous job of branding your chuck steaks, Brad! Wish I could get grill marks like that.
BC, my involvement was minimal...the marks are all from this cast iron grate. And now it's marked down $9!

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:09 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
beercuer wrote:
Well you sure did a marvelous job of branding your chuck steaks, Brad! Wish I could get grill marks like that.
BC, my involvement was minimal...the marks are all from this cast iron grate. And now it's marked down $9!

Oh no... You're just an old pro at it. That steak is a work of art!
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion