Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion More Venison

More Venison

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Got me one last big doe the day after Christmas. My freezer is full, so I should be set to go 'til next season.

Whipped up some venison burgers and dogs the other night. The processor I use also offers "Deer Bacon"....I ended up getting some original bacon and pepper bacon, although I still haven't tried it yet. They made it somehow with ground meat....I'll give y'all pix of that as soon as I cook some up.

I cut in some pork bacon in these burgers, and seasoned them with Dale's Reduced Sodium Seasoning and a Beef Rub. I ended up grinding up a boneless venison ham myself for these burgers, and I also made some deer jerky/snack sticks out of it as well. Just used my Oster Dehydrator for the jerky and snack sticks. Good stuff!

Here are some Cajun Snack Sticks:

...and some Cracked Pepper and Garlic Jerky:

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice! Did the bacon help keep the burgers moist? I'm guessing you took them to 160 or so for safety reasons, although I'm not sure if there are different temperature concerns for game versus domestic beef and pork.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:22 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I think it did help. Although they weren't very "bacony" flavored, like I hoped they would be. To be honest, I didn't check the temperature. They were done on the inside though when we bit into them. I tend to not stick my burgers with a thermometer, and give them the "poke test" instead. I don't want to lose burger juices. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Smoked up some venison brats and hamburger steaks today. For the hamburger steaks, I used Reduced Sodium Dales, fresh Jalapeños and a beef rub. Used hickory for smoke. Packing everything for work lunches.

Had to take a quality control bite. ;)

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I hope you either eat lunch alone or bring enough to share...nice smoke ring on the brats!

Return to General Discussion