x

The Best BBQ Delivered to You!

Sign up here for Steven’ Raichlen’s weekly Up in Smoke e-newsletter (and get a free ‘Best Burgers’ e-book!).

Menu

Marinades, Sauces, Rubs & Salsas

Alabama White Sauce

Pit-cooked whole chicken slathered with Alabama white sauce has a rich history in the barbecue world, going all the way back to Big Bob Gibson, the pitmaster behind his eponymous restaurant in Decatur, Alabama. I was introduced to the mysteries of Alabama white sauce by my dear friend Pat Martin, a barbecue badass. When you first dip the perfectly cooked chicken in the creamy white sauce, you’ll ask, “How have I never had this before?” The tang of the vinegar and the mayonnaise is just amazing.

More Sean Brock Recipes:

Excerpted from South by Sean Brock (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2019. Photographs by Peter Frank Edwards.

Print

Alabama White Sauce

Recipe Notes

• Yield: Makes 1 ½ cups

Ingredients

• 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Pepper Mash
  • 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, preferably Bourbon Barrel
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon Espelette pepper
  • ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
  • ½ teaspoon celery seeds
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Recipe Steps

1: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix well. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Tightly covered, the sauce will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.

Find This Recipe

And More

South

Southern food is one of the most beloved and delicious cuisines in America. And who better to give us the key elements of Southern cuisine than Sean Brock, the award-winning chef and Southern-food crusader.

Buy Now ‣