Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jalamango Lime Wings (lots of pix)

Jalamango Lime Wings (lots of pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Hope that title isn't too corny... lol... I couldn't come up with a better name for them though. I felt like doing something different, and not from a recipe book.

Started by cutting up some chicken wings and giving them a dusting of Baking Powder and BBQ Rub...

Then placed those on the BGE indirectly at around a 385 deg f dome temp....

In the meantime, I whipped up an "after sauce"... it included some Hot Mango Chutney, Pineapple Juice, Diced Jalapenos, Ginger (I usually use fresh, but this worked conveniently for me tonight), the juice of one Lime and it's Zest, fresh Garlic, and Honey (which is not in the pic, but later added it for some sweetness).

Once the wings were nice and crispy, I took them off the BGE and then tossed them around in the Sauce.

As you can see in the next pic, the wings got nice and crispy from the added Baking Powder.

Then time for the Sauce...

Served up with some Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper and Parmesan Cheese. These wings were delicious. Probably some of the best we've ever had. It had a nice sweetness from the Mango and Honey, a nice bite from the Ginger and Lime, and a nice kick from the Jalapenos. Will definitely repeat these in the future.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:36 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice combination of ingredients! I've seen the baking powder trick used on steak before, too.

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Wow..............stepping up the wings to another level 8)

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:42 pm
DMKiefer raw
raw

I would love to try this recipe! Could you possibly post the quantities of each of the ingredients and if you cooked the sauce on the stove?
Chargriller Duo w/Side Firebox

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks fellas! DMKiefer, I can't remember the proportions exactly for the sauce, but it was most of the jar of the mango chutney, a couple tablespoons or so of pineapple juice, jalapeños to your liking, a couple teaspoons or so of ginger, one big clove of garlic, maybe a couple tablespoons of honey, and the the juice and zest of one lime. You can adjust the proportions as you go until its the taste and consistency you are looking for. Hope you like it! My next go around, I will write down the proportions. It's not cooked...just blended up in the food processor until its well combined. I did keep some diced jalapeños out of the processor though, and added them in later for texture. If you try it, lemme know how u like it.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm
DMKiefer raw
raw

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll be making them this week and will definately report back!

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 pm
DMKiefer raw
raw

Ok, so I made the wings tonight for Valentines day. I made two batches since my first shopping trip I couldn't find the hot mango chuntney so I substituted with mango chutney. I also screwed up and and got orange and pineapple juice. Anyway I made another batch of sauce with hot mango chutney and straight pineapple juice along with fresh jalapeño since i wasn't satisfied with the canned jalapeno's and I liked it much better. The first batch was very citrusy and tangy while the second batch was sweeter but hotter. My daughter loved the first batch since she couldn't take the hotness and my wife and I love the extra heat of the second batch. One other substitution was the rub. I couldn't find the DP tsunami twist rub but I found a suitable substitute with Big Green Eggs own Dizzy gourmet Simply Zensational Rub. I think they may be the same but just repackaged under the Big Green egg name after doing a little research to find out they worked with Dizzy Pig on they're seasoning rubs. Anyways, your recipe was a big hit with my family and will definately be serving again soon!

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Glad to hear they were a hit! I'll have to give the fresh japs a go next time. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I gave them a go again last night. Here's the recipe:

For the Wings:

4 lbs Chicken Wings untrimmed / or 3 lbs Chicken Wings cut into flats and drumettes

1 TBSP Baking Powder

1 TBSP BBQ Rub (something not too salty)

For the After-Sauce:

1/3 cup Hot Mango Chutney (about half of a 9 oz bottle)

1/4 cup Sliced Pickled Jalapenos, plus 1-2 TBSP Diced Pickled Jalapenos

Juice and Zest of 1 small to medium-sized Lime

1/2 TBSP freshly chopped Ginger, plus 1 tsp freshly chopped Ginger

2 TBSP Pineapple Juice

3 TBSP Honey

1 large clove of Garlic

Salt and Pepper to taste

For the chicken wings, evenly coat them with the Baking Powder and BBQ Rub. Place them in the fridge and set your grill up for an indirect cook at a 350-375 deg f grill temperature. Make sure your grill grate is lubricated with cooking spray. Once you get a nice clean burn with your coals, toss on your wings. Let them cook for about 1 hour (sometimes upwards of 1 hour and 15 minutes) until the skin is nice and crispy. They should have a fried-like texture when they are done. They will stay plenty moist on the inside, so don't worry about overshooting your target temp.

While you are waiting for your wings to cook, whip up the After-Sauce. In a food processor, combine the Hot Mango Chutney, Lime Zest, Lime Juice, 1/2 TBSP Ginger, Pineapple Juice, Honey and Garlic. Pulse the mixture until it is thoroughly combined, and then transfer to a bowl. Then add in your additional 1-2 TBSP Diced Jalapenos, 1 tsp Chopped Ginger and Salt and Pepper to taste. Adding the Jalapenos and Ginger at the end will create a little bit of texture for the sauce.

Once your wings are done, toss them in a bowl and pour your After-Sauce over them. Toss them around and serve at once.

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Jalamango! All dem wings look perfectly cooked and terribly scrumptious! You know, Chef Dyal, you might want to consider entering one of these cooking shows. Have you seen "The Taste" yet?
Got beer???

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

You are too kind, BC! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:12 pm
DMKiefer raw
raw

Thanks for the recipe! Yours is not too much different from what I made on valentines day. Biggest difference was i used the whole jar of chutney and the amount of ginger. I used 2 tsp while you used half a Tbs plus a tsp. You also added one more Tbs. of honey. I'll try your recipe and see how it compares. I'm betting it will be pretty close to what I made.

Return to General Discussion