Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Baltimore Pit Beef

Baltimore Pit Beef

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm
Griffin well done
well done

We decided to try and do some Baltimore Pit Beef for the game last night. Wanted to kinda have a theme that tied in. I decided to go with Steven Raichlen's recipe that was posted in the New York Times. Unfortunately, the store had no top round when I went, so I settled on this 4lb round rump roast.

For the cook, I started off searing it at 450F

Then went indirect to finish it off. have I mentioned how much I love my Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store?

BBQ makes a man thirsty! Check out that little bottle tag. Stacie got that as a sample from the trade show she was working in Vegas last week.

I pulled it at 125 and then let it rest for 30 minutes, but had to do a taste test for quality control purposes

After 30 minutes, it was time to break out the slicer that I got for Christmas for its maiden voyage

Thing worked pretty darn good

Maybe not as good as one from a deli, but for home use, it'll be fine

For the sandwich, it was a Kaiser roll, the beef, raw onions sliced thinly and topped with Tiger Sauce

I'm sure it was not authentic, but it was pretty freaking tasty. The meat was tender and the sharp, pungent flavor of the onion and the heat and creaminess of the Tiger Sauce just worked perfectly together. And now I got lunch meat for the rest of the week! We'll be doing this again for sure.

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks incredible Griffin!!
Cooked perfectly, nice crust, juicy and pink. I think your beef is the reason Biltmore won last night :)

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Maybe I should have made something from San Fran instead. I kid, I kid. I had no vested interest in either team.

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Oh my................that looks wonderful 8)

I have got to add this to my list of things to cook :D

Greg

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

The Horseradish Sauce that goes with SR recipe is fantastic as well. I love that stuff! Great looking dinner

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Terrific cook, Griffinia! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like you nailed it, Griffin! I used to cut my pit beef by hand and the slicer makes such a huge difference that it's possible to cook tougher cuts (I've made it with rump roast, too) and cut them thin enough to be just fine.

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 am
Griffin well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Terrific cook, Griffinia! :D

Oh you wise guy! :P

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 am
Griffin well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks like you nailed it, Griffin! I used to cut my pit beef by hand and the slicer makes such a huge difference that it's possible to cook tougher cuts (I've made it with rump roast, too) and cut them thin enough to be just fine.

I'm wondering how it will work on a pastrami. Think that's what I'm gonna tackle this weekend. 8)

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Gardenia, after your pastrami this weekend, you should have enough leftovers for sandwiches all year, considering you just made pit beef too. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

So I know this isn't really "authentic" at all, but last night we took some onions and mushrooms and sauteed them down with some buttah and beef broth. When they were nice and soft, I chopped up the beef even finer and dumped them in the skillet with the 'shrooms and onions, topped it with provolone cheese and then threw the lid on till the cheese melted. Served it up on some hoagie rolls for some "not authentic" at all philly cheesesteaks. Pretty darn good for leftovers, but wasn't picture worthy. Plus I didn't feel like looking for the camera that Mrs. G moved the other day when cleaning.

So now we've squeezed five sandwiches out of the beef, plus one more in my lunch today and there is still tons left. I will probably be officially over it after lunch and won't be able to eat any more unless somebody else has any good ideas. Does this stuff freeze well at all?

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:38 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Authentic or not, that cheesesteak creation sounds really good!

What about slicing it completely (if you haven't done so already) and bringing it in to work in a crockpot or electric roaster along with some smaller buns (they're often called "silver dollar" around here) to let your coworkers pick at it?

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm
sacmer well done
well done

My wife and I love "french dip" style sandwiches and I have made the Baltimore Pit Beef recipe several times. We love our meat slicer and appears to be the same home model as yours! We like our beef very, very thin which I find hard to do with a hot roast. What we tend to do is cook the roast one day to just rare, cool, wrap and refrigerate overnight. Slice the cooled beef the next day and you can get near paper thin slices. Warm it up in a pan with some "au jouis" for sandwiches. If I know we will not use the whole roast immediately, cut the roast in half before slicing, vacume pack and freeze the leftover piece uncut. Thaw the roast slowly in frig when you need it and then slice when thawed, works great.

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:55 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

It should freeze just fine. I recently sliced up a big hunk of pit beef that I had previously stored in the freezer. Tasted good. I made beef and cheese wraps with lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 pm
Griffin well done
well done

That is a good idea with cutting it in half and freezing it for later. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks. I'll do that next time for sure. Always nice to be able to pull leftovers out of the freezer on nights you don't want to cook.

Return to General Discussion